Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

balanced Class D output with conventional crossovers
balanced Class D output with conventional crossovers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2020, 02:18 AM   #1
studiophone is offline studiophone  United States
diyAudio Member

Default balanced Class D output with conventional crossovers

I can't seem to find out about how the "balanced outputs... two active signal lines" works with a conventional crossover in a speaker with all the different types of circuits involved like LCR or a zoble or others. Anyone have any experience?

Having the "ground" at the wrong end as originally intended for half the cycle seems like it could cause some unexpected results.

I was thinking about trying out the ICEPOWER 1200AS1 But I have a XO that I am quite a bit invested in... Do you have to balance the XO to the other leg? doubling the XO parts?
Old 20th May 2020, 02:33 AM   #2
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

A speaker system with a passive crossover has two terminals, and is not ground referenced,
so it can be driven by either a single ended or a balanced output amplifier. The polarity of
connection also does not functionally matter (unless you care about absolute polarity).
All that matters is the potential difference between the two terminals of the speaker system,
regardless of how it is applied. There's no reason to have a balanced crossover in a speaker.

Last edited by rayma; 20th May 2020 at 02:42 AM.
Old 20th May 2020, 02:58 AM   #3
studiophone is offline studiophone  United States
diyAudio Member

I've never tried putting the main inductor after the driver. I guess i could xsim this and see what happens. So rayma have tried this type of output with a classic type passive XO?
Old 20th May 2020, 03:15 AM   #4
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Only the voltage difference between the two speaker system terminals matters. A woofer's series filter inductor
can be on either side of the woofer. Series elements can be exchanged in order with no effect, since the current
through each remains the same. There's no need to simulate, since it's the same circuit, and works the same.

Last edited by rayma; 20th May 2020 at 03:18 AM.

balanced Class D output with conventional crossoversHide this!Advertise here!