balanced Class D output with conventional crossovers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't seem to find out about how the "balanced outputs... two active signal lines" works with a conventional crossover in a speaker with all the different types of circuits involved like LCR or a zoble or others. Anyone have any experience?

Having the "ground" at the wrong end as originally intended for half the cycle seems like it could cause some unexpected results.

I was thinking about trying out the ICEPOWER 1200AS1 But I have a XO that I am quite a bit invested in... Do you have to balance the XO to the other leg? doubling the XO parts?

Joined 2011
A speaker system with a passive crossover has two terminals, and is not ground referenced,
so it can be driven by either a single ended or a balanced output amplifier. The polarity of
connection also does not functionally matter (unless you care about absolute polarity).
All that matters is the potential difference between the two terminals of the speaker system,
regardless of how it is applied. There's no reason to have a balanced crossover in a speaker.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Only the voltage difference between the two speaker system terminals matters. A woofer's series filter inductor
can be on either side of the woofer. Series elements can be exchanged in order with no effect, since the current
through each remains the same. There's no need to simulate, since it's the same circuit, and works the same.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.