Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Need help for a beginner - grounding scheme
Need help for a beginner - grounding scheme
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2020, 06:54 AM   #11
MorbidFractal is offline MorbidFractal
diyAudio Member

Piccy

Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2020-03-28 06-53-20.png (22.6 KB, 45 views)
Old 28th March 2020, 12:28 PM   #12
russc is offline russc  England
diyAudio Member

May I point out to the helpful members -
the op stated he was getting HDD activity noise through his system.
This may not be a hum/grounding issue at all.
I would suggest to the op that he connects his DAC to any other (not DIY) amplifier to test for noise. Test with a single channel before testing multiple channels (fewer connections). I would also suggest he Googles 'HDD noise through audio' as it is quite likely a pc related problem rather than amplifier problem. Also, post in 'digital source' forum on diyaudio. Hope these suggestions help you find a fix.
Old 28th March 2020, 01:06 PM   #13
synonymous is online now synonymous  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to synonymous
Maybe try...
see attached..
S

firefox_.png
Old 29th March 2020, 03:18 PM   #14
russc is offline russc  England
diyAudio Member

Actually, I should have stated 'pc based' forum, not digital source.
Old 29th March 2020, 11:46 PM   #15
datrumole is offline datrumole  United States
diyAudio Member

first, i want to thank all of you who have helped!

a quick update before i address the above.

in my desperation, i ripped apart my entire pc, an was running it off a cardboard box to eliminate just about anything i could in the pc (case, unnecessary fans, even pulled the gpu etc..). i also completely removed my DIY amp out of the picture and connected it to an iNuke 3000dsp. same f'in hdd noise. so i ordered an ADUM4160 isloator, took my defeat, and reassembled the pc. after hooking it all back up, so my surprise, no noise (without the isolator, as its still shipping)!!!! now, the only two things i could even think of when i re-assembled are this

1. i used a different port in my modular pc power supply for my hdd power connection. perhaps the one i had shared something with the mainboard causing it to leak into the USB?
  2. i modified my rca to xlr cables to remove the shield to pin 1 connection. this seemed to reduce some of the noise when it was on the test bench, however this was only to one of the inukes, the other inuke has no modified cable, so i'm thinking this didnt do anything
so, i'm now without any hdd noise in the chain!

however, i'm still at one new issue, and perhaps i need a new thread? not sure

in reference to my first post, in the diagram, my two hanger 500a modules are almost dead quiet with everything off (amp powered, but nothing in the chain on), the 500asp, not so much. i believe i now am receiving a 50/60hz hum in that one and only one module. i haven't fiddled with anything just yet, and not even really sure where to start. so perhaps i'm back to my original diagram, does everything look right? should i bury the earth from the power inlet right to chassis and not hook it into the ASP, perhaps this is where the noise is coming from? any suggestions would be great

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidFractal View Post
Piccy

interesting, ok, so the fact that i have nothing in the V- is bad? ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
May I point out to the helpful members -
the op stated he was getting HDD activity noise through his system.
This may not be a hum/grounding issue at all.
I would suggest to the op that he connects his DAC to any other (not DIY) amplifier to test for noise. Test with a single channel before testing multiple channels (fewer connections). I would also suggest he Googles 'HDD noise through audio' as it is quite likely a pc related problem rather than amplifier problem. Also, post in 'digital source' forum on diyaudio. Hope these suggestions help you find a fix.

thanks, i did just that, went to an inuke amp to eliminate as many variables as i could. did a ton of googling, and tried just about everything and then some it feels like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
Maybe try...
see attached..
S

Attachment 828455

i may give it a try, my new issue is a lovely hum in only ONE of the modules (500asp) the other two 500a's are almost dead silent when not in use

Need help for a beginner - grounding schemeHide this!Advertise here!