Brainstorming Purifi 1et400a amps

... I don't like the original buffer so I am using the Nelson Nutube so far I really like that combo and I got that to work pretty well.

If I am not wrong, the FW Nutube has H2 at -40 dB and H3 at -60 dB. An excessive coloring seems to me. In any case it is certain that only to listen to small groups with acoustic or electrical instrumentation. In more complex recordings such as orchestral or electronic, that harmonic profile is counterproductive.

Ideally, we could easily switch between that profile or another less colored (H2 at -73 dB) and one without harmonics up to 90 dB. Maybe H2 at -84 dB is a good compromise, like Simpelstark+ poweramp.

PS: Always with monotonously decreasing harmonics, of course

- End off topic -

Last edited:
It is not a bad idea if one likes that kind of coloring. Normally SET tubes and high sensitivity speakers are used. In this way a similar harmonic profile can be obtained in speakers with low / very low sensitivity thanks to the FW Nutube + Purifi.

If you want that kind of sound there's no need to spend the money on Purifi amps. Get something much cheaper. Perhaps the Hypex UCD series if the Connex reliability isn't trusted. You'll get the same measured results from the amp outputs, because the input stage distortion will dominate anyways.

closed account
Joined 2007
It is not a bad idea if one likes that kind of coloring. Normally SET tubes and high sensitivity speakers are used. In this way a similar harmonic profile can be obtained in speakers with low / very low sensitivity thanks to the FW Nutube + Purifi.

I absolutely agree!!! If one wants to build an amp for themselves, they should build it as they wish! If one likes the sound of the NuTube, but wants that sound as a power amp, well, very transparent modules like the Hypex or Purifi ones are the way to go!

I absolutely agree!!! If one wants to build an amp for themselves, they should build it as they wish! If one likes the sound of the NuTube, but wants that sound as a power amp, well, very transparent modules like the Hypex or Purifi ones are the way to go!

Sure, but it is a rather wasted effort. You could get the same result with much cheaper parts.

Then there is of course stuff like this: Wave Arts | Plugins | Tube Saturator Vintage

closed account
Joined 2007
Sure, but it is a rather wasted effort. You could get the same result with much cheaper parts.

I meant getting exactly the sound of the NuTube ;-) but, yeah, there are cheaper components.
Maybe at moderate levels the IRS2092 is sufficiently neutral?

Then there is of course stuff like this: Wave Arts | Plugins | Tube Saturator Vintage

Cool. This is what Fender is doing in their new guitar amps. The distortion is generated in DSP, and then there is a little class D amp. Same sound, identical external look, lighter and greener!

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you want that kind of sound there's no need to spend the money on Purifi amps. Get something much cheaper. Perhaps the Hypex UCD series if the Connex reliability isn't trusted. You'll get the same measured results from the amp outputs, because the input stage distortion will dominate anyways.

Not really.. if you want *exactly* that color you cant spoil it with a half bad amp. You need to have a perfect, transparent amp to preserve the pristine coloration of the nutube.

//

I seem to recall that the Hypex NC500 data sheet specifically mentions that the amp was designed to be transparent (as supported by the measured data) and that if a "house sound" was desired, the input buffer was the best place to implement such "house sound". I agree with that. Add the effects at line level where doing so is inexpensive. Or in a DSP plugin where it's basically free and can be turned off and/or tweaked to the end user's delight.

Tom

closed account
Joined 2007
I seem to recall that the Hypex NC500 data sheet specifically mentions that the amp was designed to be transparent (as supported by the measured data) and that if a "house sound" was desired, the input buffer was the best place to implement such "house sound". I agree with that. Add the effects at line level where doing so is inexpensive. Or in a DSP plugin where it's basically free and can be turned off and/or tweaked to the end user's delight.

Aside from listening in the most transparent way possible, I also intend to play a lot with DSP filtering (programmed on my Raspberry Pi4). That's why I decided to purchase a buffer that promises to be very, very transparent :)

I hve tried a multitude of VST plugins, many of which emulate valve sound. But they do it by adding noise and distortion and not just changing the harmonic profile, which is really interesting.

As I have improved the sound on my second computer, I liked those adulterations less.

Time ago I made tests with new soft, DISTORT, to emulate different harmonic profiles:

-> Beta Test: DISTORT - audibility of distortions | Page 2 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Some acoustic recordings have better sound with H2 at -73 dB, more pleasure. If anyone knows of a plugin that only modifies the harmonic profile I am all eyes! :bigeyes:

PS: the key was to force the soft to work with AVX2 instructions, like the others multimedia soft players I use.

So another thread turned into an UFC match...

Let me ask this question and plz understand that I am fully aware of the efficiency of SMPS's compared to linear. But how about a linear supply ? Non complain about them when it comes to how they "sound".

I am sure that they do but it's much easier to tinker over a wide range of restricted variables without totally stuffing things. An SMPS is a totally different dog and for many is a dark art which should make them immune to the usual audiophile frippery... but does not.

Hey guys, let's play nice here. I am looking to this thread for input on different implementations of the Purifi modules. I appreciate mocenigo's sharing of his experience, and let's remember that he got approval from Purifi for the Connex 800 watt supply. I would suggest that saying a Connex supply (500 watt) sounds weak and anemic when compared to a Hypex supply (of 1200 watts) seems a bit absurd... Anyway, personally, reading this thread I am interested in all approaches tried.

Of course analog measures of the Purifi's analog output with both supplies might actually prove something relevant! I have limited access to an AP, so perhaps when i build my first set up with the Connex I can get some measures from the AP, but this will be awhile, very busy here and the AP i have access to is in another state.

Anyone know what the actual active device(s) are on the Mike's board for the Purifi modules?

I hope no one has been scared off from sharing their approaches here, the more information the better as far as I am concerned. We can be critical of each other's approach, in the interest of learning, but let us not be critical of each other for trying different approaches.

closed account
Joined 2007
l
I hope no one has been scared off from sharing their approaches here, the more information the better as far as I am concerned. We can be critical of each other's approach, in the interest of learning, but let us not be critical of each other for trying different approaches.

The problem here is only a troll. A Canadian one, not a Norwegian one, and a very well know one. I’ll do my best to ignore it.

No... actually the problem here is that the Purifi Power Module is apparently so immune to external disturbances outside of its input that there is no way to approach it in DIY terms beyond what you supply to that input.

Brainstorming Purifi 1et400a amps

The point of the post was to suggest or otherwise indicate the high probability that your choice of power supply and any claims you wish to make about it assuming it can supply the required power are immediately negated by the existence of that filter on the Power Module irrespective of whether your power supply is regulated, unregulated or has crappy capacitors.

All it prompted was a single question about where the output inductor was prior to getting back to talking about nothing in particular.