ICE-Power-50ASX2 Volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am considering buying a ICE-Power-50ASX2 for my fullrange desktop speakers. Right now I am using a old and big Yamaha stereo Amp, which is to big for my desk.

So I am planning to build a amp with a ICE-Power-50ASX2, because I dont have to worry about the power supply.

I know how to build the case, and I think I will figure out everything else.. But to be host I dont know how to adjust the volume :eek:
Is it possible to add a potentiometer to the amp or do I need a preamp?

What kind of potentiometer would be possible, if a pre amp is not neccessary?
I am using a standard pc as a player.

King regards,
Eilon

Hi Eilon

wow this amp for the desktop...respect ;)

with your sound card at your PC you should have a line output L/R for the amp. with your player (e.g foobar..) you can adjust the volume. so no extra pre-amp is needed.

but please look at your sound card output impedance because the ICE 50ASX has 8kR input impedance as i can read from the datasheet. maybe this is too low for your card and the sound card gets out of juice.--> preamp needed

preamp...sorry i am not so fit because i go from my pc over a DAC to the amp

i remember
AD828
AD828 op amp preamplifier / audio amplifier module / single power supply-in Screen Protectors from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

TPA6120 its often just as head amp = strong chip
Tpa6120 Headphone Amplifier Board Hifi Tpa6120A2 Enthusiast Headphones Amp Amplificador Zero Noise Diy-in Headphone Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

NE 5532 board
Free Shipping 2.0 preamp Stereo HIFI NE5532 Tone Board Preamplifier.Want good quality, please choose us-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

chris

"I've added a potentiometer at the input of the amplifier, and it turns out that the input impedance of these ICEPower amps drops significantly with rising frequency. At DC, the input impedance is 270K, at low frequencies, it drops to about 27K, and at 20KHz it's below 6K. This means that the amp needs a low output impedance source to drive it The beauty of these amps as I saw it was that they were complete with only connectors and an enclosure needed. But it turns out that a simple volume potentiometer put in front of the amp messes up the frequency response significantly. "

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.