Input signal too loud

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a portable audio system based on a Sure 2x100w TK2050.
But the volume input seems to loud when i turn to potentiometer (between input and amplifier) to maximum. This only happens when playing from laptop, and not from mp3. (I guess output is louder from laptop).
I usually just turn it down to where it sounds nice, but as i often lend it out to friends and such, i know people are gonna want to turn it up to max.

So what is the best solution to fix this?

My best idea is to just solder a resistor on the input, before the potentiometer.
But this makes the input from the mp3 too low. Is it possible to get a resistor which limits the signal power? So it only kicks in whenever its above a specific amount?

Or any other smart solutions?

What you need is an "AGC" (Automatic Gain Control) but they are complicated if you want low distortion. A manual potentiometer is the right solution but requires that it is being used and not just left turned to maximum.
Variable resistors exist but not such that they on their own solve your problem.
Sorry!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.