Crown XLS drivecore 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-06-05 13-21-08.png
    Screenshot from 2019-06-05 13-21-08.png
    137.4 KB · Views: 447
  • Screenshot from 2019-06-05 13-16-31.png
    Screenshot from 2019-06-05 13-16-31.png
    720.3 KB · Views: 474
I was thinking of using one to drive my JBL 1400s 14" mid range 160 Hz to 800 Hz. They are only 89Db efficient so need power to control them.

They are superb on my JBL 2245s.

Check with the dealer. AFAIK such products rely on the phase of one channel being inverted wrt the other and another inversion at the output when operated in stereo. The idea is that low frequency music is generally in phase and you avoid or reduce power supply pumping. It's a thing with Class D. Bridge operation avoids the problem entirely.

Sorry. I forgot to mention 'Check with the dealer'. According to his video Mr Robinson thinks you should buy this amp coz you get your sound from your speakers. Given that is the case I have no idea why Crown would stick DSP in there but I would assume they have a flat option.

YouTube

Not sure what happens when she discovers his claimed 2400W stack is only worth 425W.

Crown XLS 1502 measurements: Review and Measurements of Crown XLS 1502 Amp | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Great price to performance ratio. I use one in my hifi setup as per your Lansing thread. If you look at Amazon reviews, many folks use this PA amp for home hifi use: Amazon.com: Crown XLS2502 Two-channel, 775W at 4Ω Power Amplifier: Musical Instruments

Want better? Try Hypex NC400 at 4 times the price of the Crown: Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Good for the money I guess, a bit "over the top" sales pitch on the video there.
Most definitely not "The End" so to speak.

There are better amps around to be had, but the Crown XLS are probably among the better products in the lowest price segments.

I remember watching the video awhile back and like so many reviews it gets so old when every product is the most amazing ever. It is one thing if a reviewer says "you will have to spend X amount of money to top this amp" but when they say it is all you will ever need or want for that price it just seems out there and hard to take them serious.

I have a NAD C388 witch uses the Hypex Ncore and it drives my mains,

[Polish] NAD C388 - Wzmacniacze stereo | Testy w Audio.com.pl

to English: Google Translate

• Rated power (1% THD + N, 1 kHz) [W] 8 Ω, 2x 178
  • Rated power (1% THD + N, 1 kHz) [W] 4 Ω, 2x 199
  • Sensitivity (for maximum power) [V] 1x 0.72
  • Signal-to-noise ratio (A-weighted filter, with reference to 1W) [dB] 88
  • Dynamics [dB] 112
  • Damping factor (relative to 4 Ω) 91

Hypex UCD customized by NAD if I am not wrong:

[IMG, link] https://audio.com.pl/images/7/2/9/48729-wzmacniacz_zintegrowany_nad_c388-audiocompl-fot8.jpg

[IMG, link] https://audio.com.pl/images/7/2/8/48728-wzmacniacz_zintegrowany_nad_c388-audiocompl-fot7.jpg

Last edited:
No it is not AD/DA free, however, you can bypass all DSP filtering: BYPASS: Both channels are full spectrum audio (20Hz – 20KHz). From the service manual: http://schems.com/bmampscom/crown/142195-1 XLS3 Service Manual 4-2010.pdf

As far as I and others that use the XLS series amps, no-one has complained about any AD/DA DSP artefacts, which is supported by the measurements linked in post 8. It is transparent. However, as noted the DSP does add digital delay, even with everything bypassed. I measured the delay to be 60 samples at 48 kHz sample rate.

If you feel differently about the transparency of the AD/DA conversion, Listen and choose the 8th generation digital copy part Two - General Forum - Audiophile Style

I remember watching the video awhile back and like so many reviews it gets so old when every product is the most amazing ever. It is one thing if a reviewer says "you will have to spend X amount of money to top this amp" but when they say it is all you will ever need or want for that price it just seems out there and hard to take them serious.

Exactly. These amps are good value for money, but not: "da best EWAH!"

I can chime in on this one:

About two years ago I replaced a pair of Wyred4Sound SX-1000 Monoblocks with a Pair (two) XLS-2502 amps. The only reason I did so was because I liked the internal crossover features on the Crowns which work well.

I use mine on bass in bi-amp below 250hz. I use two 12 inch woofers per channel and use one 2502 per channel in 'Y' mode. Hence both channels of 2502 each driving one 12 inch woofer left / right.

I could not tell any difference. Both the Wyred4Sound and the 2502 perform very well on bass.

If someone wants to save money one could by three of the biggest (XLS-2502's) two channel Crowns for the price of one pair of Wyred4Sound mono-blocks. With the added crossover feature the Crown is hard to beat.

I'm not dissing the SX-1000's because I did like them too. On Bass only I couldn't tell them apart. Both have tight/solid bass response.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.