custom Class D for subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
... And your subwoofer drivers are rated around 86dB at ONE watt :D EACH...

but 20hz@80db is inaudible!

My subwoofer's volume is a little higher that 80db in those action flicks.

Well, with the UcD180LP I should be able to test the subwoofers with 180W and see how they sound compared to the NU3000DSP.

Khron, I uploaded the data you told me from the volt of my source. By using math you meant just sum it?

About gain: If you have 1 volt input to gound and send it through an inverting and an non inverting buffer, you measure 2 volt over the outputs. Ground is not needed any more, it is just used to shield the two signal wires.
This is why a balancer gives you +6db as far as I know.

A buffer makes input and output two separate things, but the voltage is only multiplied by 1.
if you take the same IC and cirquit, but change the feed back, you can get an amplifier. The basic parts and most of the cirquit stay absolutely the same.

So one might call a pre amp a 4x buffer, but actually have an amplifier.

Usually yes, but these Hypex amp modules are mono single-ended output amplifiers, which require a balanced input (for best performance).

The balancer is nothing else but a bridged amplifier, which gives you 4x the power if the load stays the same. 2x because of two amps and 2x because each amp sees only half of the load (resistor).

Just the same as with some ICE amps that need symetric input for best performance. With these the usual single ended (HIFI) input stage has some influence on the finished amp and might explain why the same module in different brands cases sounds a bit different. If the designer did not just put one leg of the amp modules input at ground.
Some use balancer IC`s, some simple buffers, some transformers and even tube inputs have been seen.
Of course with quite different price tags, too.

Last edited:
Just the same as with some ICE amps that need symetric input for best performance. With these the usual single ended (HIFI) input stage has some influence on the finished amp and might explain why the same module in different brands cases sounds a bit different. If the designer did not just put one leg of the amp modules input at ground.
Some use balancer IC`s, some simple buffers, some transformers and even tube inputs have been seen.
Of course with quite different price tags, too.

Si, for the normal user... seeking a normal amplifier to power some 4ohm speakers or a subwoofer, all with unbalanced signal...

Which would you say it's the way to go?

Buffer? Balancer? None?

Once I receive the modules I can test them with unbalanced signal coming from a sound card, from a balanced signal coming from a CleanBox Pro, from a buffered unbalanced signal coming from a NE5534 OP-AMP or from a balanced signal coming thru the same opamp.

What should I look for the best results? Just hear the difference? Specially in the top end?

I can run the hearing test in the IcePower 50ASX2 and in the HypeX 180LP OEM. Sadly, I only have 8ohm speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.