TPA3116D2 MONO board question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, my first post here!

I recently purchased a TPA3116 mono board (XH-M542) and have a few questions some of you might know the answer to.

I would like to know which gain configuration it came with but I am honestly too scared to remove the heatsink and break something (I only got one board, silly me).

Also, is the volume pot a simple resistive divider in the input?

If anyone has a schematic of this board (or a general diagram) it would be greatly appreciated.

I intend to design a simple JFET input stage for a portable guitar amp, so I don't need high gains for the TPA3116 input.

Found one picture by someone that got a board with a loose heatsink, but unfortunately we can't really see all the components.

Any help/advice would be welcome, been searching the forum for hours but could not find much specific info about this board.

Attachments

• UTB8Si1NiFPJXKJkSahVq6xyzFXaG.jpg
    UTB8Si1NiFPJXKJkSahVq6xyzFXaG.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 543
The volume pot is indeed coupled as a simple variable voltage divider. The way it has been done for decades.

I understand why you are hesitant to pull the heatsink of a TPA3116 chip that is fastened with heat conductive glue. It can quickly cause fatal damage on the PCB pads and tracks. Most TPA3116 amplifier boards are set for a rather high gain (30dB-36dB,) probably to impress the customers who get disappointed if low gain does not leave much output.

Sorry, I have no documentation on your board and I do not own that board myself.

Last edited:
The volume pot is indeed coupled as a simple variable voltage divider. The way it has been done for decades.

I understand why you are hesitant to pull the heatsink of a TPA3116 chip that is fastened with heat conductive glue. It can quickly cause fatal damage on the PCB pads and tracks. Most TPA3116 amplifier boards are set for a rather high gain (30dB-36dB,) probably to impress the customers who get disappointed if low gain does not leave much output.

Sorry, I have no documentation on your board and I do not own that board myself.

Thank you for your reply!

I saw someone else commenting that the heat conductive glue is actually just "regular" glue. Bummer.

In any case, just confirmed the gain is really set to max (36 dB).

I have heard toothpaste being used as a substitute for thermal paste.

As long as you do not use thermal paste for your teeth :D.
I would not use anything containing flour on my electronic components. I once bough a TK2050 amplifier board where the heatsink was glued to the chip (STA505) with thermal glue (not toothpaste). I had to remove many components to get access and still it was quite a fight with a scalpel to get the heatsink separated from the chip. Thermal glue (and toothpaste) is only when no other solutions are found.

Thank you for your reply!

I saw someone else commenting that the heat conductive glue is actually just "regular" glue. Bummer.

In any case, just confirmed the gain is really set to max (36 dB).

"Regular glue" could mean cyanoacrylate ("instant glue"). I use that myself when I am CERTAIN I will not need to remove the heatsink again. The chip is likely to be pulled off the PCB before the heatsink leaves the chip.

How do you get acetone in on a micron thin surface between two metallic plates before it has caused damage to other components (the polymere parts)?

Bonding strength deteriorates at 110-120 degrees Celsius. Heat your heatsink to 120 degrees!! In Suomi you of course take it with you in the sauna :scared:

If it is not cyanacrylat, most of the time I've found some sort of silicone glue. By gently pulling on the heatsink while applying isopropyl-alcohol always worked for me. If it really is cyanacrylate glue, I'd suggest heating the thing up to about 80° and then apply a brief shock to the heatsink, that should work as well.

If it is not cyanacrylat, most of the time I've found some sort of silicone glue. By gently pulling on the heatsink while applying isopropyl-alcohol always worked for me. If it really is cyanacrylate glue, I'd suggest heating the thing up to about 80° and then apply a brief shock to the heatsink, that should work as well.

Agreed, it is probably not Cyanoacrylate, because the bond would be very solid and brittle. If I twist the heatsink with some strength, it moves very slightly and comes back to the original position, therefore a silicone type of glue makes more sense.

I will leave it as it is and design the input stage considering the 36 dB gain, since I would almost certainly make a big mess trying to remove the heatsink and change the SMD resistors underneath.

I got 4 of this boards and on one the heat sink was allready off when it arrived. The "Glue" is some white silicone stuff, like you use in bathrooms. I twisted the heatsink just a little and all came off instandly. No harm done to the chips. The amount of glue used was different on all boards, so it was applied by hand. I think it will be better to remove it an use a controlled amount of something designed for heat sinks.

Can these chips be used without a heatsink for testing with low load?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.