Troubleshooting TPA3118-based SMSL SA-36a Pro?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear All,

This is not a 'build it yourself', but a 'troubleshoot it yourself (if you can)' question. I have been using a small amp, a TPA3118-based 'SMSL SA-36a Pro'. I worked very reliably. We have moved to a different house, so I packed up my gear nicely, in cardboard boxes, and everything arrived without a scratch - but the amp won't work. Symptom: no sound, no noise, no smoke; however, when turning OFF, it works for 1-2 seconds (until the buffers run out, I guess), without any problem regarding audio quality, as far as I can judge in that short time. I've tried two different 12V power supplies (the one I had been using it with and one I happened to have lying around), the behaviour is the same. The speakers are also the ones I had used it with (Q Acoustics 2020i). The speaker cables (plain zip cord) are the same, too.

Is this something I can fix myself? I'm not an experienced builder, and have never done any SMD work, nor do I have the equipment for it, just a basic soldering iron and a multimeter. Or should I forget it, and get another amp?

Thanks in advance,
Kofa

Sounds very strange what you describe.
If I understand right: When you turn on the 12V supply there is no sound and it remains so. But, when you turn OFF the 12 V you have sound for 1-2 seconds?
There is no "buffer" in such an amplifier. The amplifier as such seems to work but it may be a supply issue.

Had EXACTLY such an issue once, with one of the TPAxxxx modules - turns out one of the SMD resistors lost contact (I did some soldering on the board, and inadvertently damaged an SMD resistor).

If you have a multimeter, try to check all the resistors leading directly to chip pins, and see if any of them are reading zero (means it's not functioning any more). If you find any, replace with the appropriate value resistor.

Can't guarantee that's your issue, but it's worth a try.

Regards,

Denis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.