Hypex: UcD HxR Vs Ncore.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mac,

If you remember i bought couple of NC500 modules from you.
So i thought you might be familiar with UcD, NC sounds

To answer your question

I used 2 NC400 with 1 SMPS600 for driving MT on my 4-way active speakers
I used 2 UcD400HxR with 2 SMPS400 for Woofer/Subwoofer

Last edited:
I can compare UCD400 OEMs using custom OPA1612 buffers HxR powered from SMPS400 with NCxxxMP modules. All stuff is powering nice active setup on Peerless XLS10 / Seas W22EX001/ DXT from DLCP. The difference is noticeable. Especially trebles which are more fluid and open. Sound overal is more dense and sweet but in the same time extremely revealing. Bass is unexpectedly powerful and drive ability is spectacular giving the fact I used NC122MP / NC250MP compared to 400W UCD beast. There is maybe some subjective feeling inside it but I can tell it is worth an upgrade. Remember that new NC modules do not use fancy op amps and even fancier dicrete red glowing regs...

@diyaudnut: Yes, I do recall. I've build both and have used both in my system, so I do have some limited experience. Perhaps my upstream components are the limiting factor. This is the first time I've used HG HxR and I think they sound pretty good.

@windforce85: Thank you for your detailed reply. I was somewhat surprised the new NCxxxMP modules use "non-audiophile grade" input buffers. Have not heard them yet, although I just acquired a couple. Their form factor and price make them ideal for multi-amping, though.

I find the UcD with HxR to be pretty close to NC in some cases.

But as windforce mentioned, NCore produce very clean and detailed rendering of mids.
But where it really shined for me was its control on Bass, with a good bass driver the amp produces very clean, controlled bass and simply seems to have an infinite reserve

Non audiophile but with proven concept and solid performing parts. I have designed an 'audiophile' buffer for UCD and as a whole it sounds not better than cost effective NCore modules. In multiamped active systems these modules are pure joy to use. Yeah bass is wonderful powerful and endless despite you could call it an overkill giving 70Hz subbass band for NC. With Q=0,5 sealed bass bins DSP controlled and distributed around room with NCore driving this is thrilling experience!

UcD has quite a room for a few important upgrades which has been discussed long ago on other threads.

To name a few:

- Removal of stock input coupling capacitor;
- Better opamp (my choice is AD8620 and it is great);
- Wima mkp 2 capacitor in output filter (plus Rick Schultz mod)
- Replacement of HxR regulators with Belleson regulators (yes, they are better)
etc.

Unfortunatelly, I have never had a chance to compare my moded amp with some Ncore modules...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.