Differences in Sound Quality between Various Amplifier Modules

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any of the PAM**** amps have been good for me. Full fidelity and low distortion when used within limits. Very balanced and rugged.

The TDA8932BT is not my favorite. I have a few amps that use this chip and personally, I don't care for them. Varying the operating voltage doesn't help. (12 to 19 volts) Perhaps with some mods they may be a fine amp but off the shelf.. Naaa... Unbalanced fidelity, shrill mids and weak bass..
Wow, that's surprising..
You say you enjoy the PAMs more than TDA amplifiers..
(I thought the TDAs/TPAs are better, in general)

Also radiosmuck mentioned 10% distortion for the PAMs..

Turns out its the implementations that suck, not the chip - the DS doesn't show sufficient decoupling on the VA (analog supply) rail, only 10R with 100nF. Increasing that pays tremendous dividends.
Which amplifier's Datasheet are you referring to?

The PAM's are wonderful in their own realm if you only want to deal with flea power. Personally I'm happy with 70-90 dB of noise and the efficiency is great. The 5 volt operating voltage makes for an easy portable application.. (My reference to "Noise" is music) ;)

You will only see the 10% distortion if you try to make the amp do things it isn't designed for. If you want more noise, get an amp that produces more power..

The step from 5 volts to 12+ volts as an operating voltage gets expensive in portable applications. I'm happy with what I can get with 5 volts..

I'm not impressed with the difference of 3 watts to perhaps 15 watts. The costs of everything doesn't justify it. Maybe 50+ watts will show a significant difference but IMO, it isn't worth having a large wattage "Personal Portable" unit. If you plan to design a stationary unit, that's a whole new ball game..

My mindset is much different than most. I've been totally off the power grid for well over 20 yrs. and my personal goals are efficiency and portability..

The PAM's are wonderful in their own realm if you only want to deal with flea power. Personally I'm happy with 70-90 dB of noise and the efficiency is great. The 5 volt operating voltage makes for an easy portable application.. (My reference to "Noise" is music) ;)
I actually completely understand you.
I want to build computer speakers that give good quality, and I have no need in high dB.
I sit in front of the computer, and the speakers will be near me.

I also like a lot the fact that it's 5v operated, which means I can power it directly from the computer, and not need another special AC Adapter for it.

I just hope the quality will be good.
That's why I bought several different PAMs, to listen and see if there are differences.

I'm not impressed with the difference of 3 watts to perhaps 15 watts. The costs of everything doesn't justify it. Maybe 50+ watts will show a significant difference but IMO, it isn't worth having a large wattage "Personal Portable" unit. If you plan to design a stationary unit, that's a whole new ball game..

I've been totally off the power grid for well over 20 yrs. and my personal goals are efficiency and portability..
What do you mean? Your whole house is solar powered?

The PAM8406 board I linked to previously would be great for computer speakers. Just be aware that you may need to use isolation on the audio input of the amp if you plan to use your computer as the power supply and audio source..

You won't notice much difference in any of the PAM's except for the 06. It does have a little more "Umph" than the 1.5 or the 3 watt units. The cap on the board of the one that I pointed to does help in bass extension..

Yes. I've been solar powered for a long time. My whole house is designed to operate at 12 volts D.C.

The PAM8406 board I linked to previously would be great for computer speakers. Just be aware that you may need to use isolation on the audio input of the amp if you plan to use your computer as the power supply and audio source..
Where do I get such isolation?
What electric/electronic component does it?

You won't notice much difference in any of the PAM's except for the 06. It does have a little more "Umph" than the 1.5 or the 3 watt units. The cap on the board of the one that I pointed to does help in bass extension..
It's surprising that the 06 is different than the 03.
The reason I say it is this:

The PAM8403 is defined as 2x3W.
The PAM8406 is defined as 2x5W.

But if you look at 8406's datasheet, you will see:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The 5W of the PAM8406, expresses only with 2Ω speakers.

If you take a pair of 4Ω speakers, and connect them once to a PAM8403,
and then to a PAM8406,
you are supposed to get the same watt, in both amplifiers..
Because you did not change to 2Ω speakers...
(which makes the PAM8406 not different than the PAM8403, assuming you don't intend to use/don't have 2Ω speakers)

And still you say you noticed a different?
(with the same speakers?)

Yes. I did what you are going to do. I bought a selection of amps and played. The 06 does have a slight advantage over the 03 but don't expect any more than a dB. I listened to the bass on the same 4 ohm drivers/battery and the 06 does have better extension..
OK, so it's good that I ordered a 8406 too,
would be interesting to hear it.

OK interesting.

Why do I actually need it, If I intend to use USB Power?
What will happen If I don't add this isolator?

"Why do I actually need it, If I intend to use USB Power?
What will happen If I don't add this isolator?"

Many times when operating a amp connected to an audio source powered from the same power source can cause issues. (Ground Loop) Isolating the input of the amp from the power input common (Ground) usually resolves this issue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.