8 channel amp based off the TPA3116

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone tried building a 8 channel amp based off the TPA3116 amp? I built an active WTMW speaker, and it would be nice to not use 4 separate stereo amps and 4 power supplies for the pair.

EDIT: Oh oops I forgot this is diyAudio. I don't have any electronics skills, so I'm looking for a boxed solution I can buy.

Last edited:
Somehow came across this.

5 1 TPA3116 Digital Amplifier Board 6 Channel Amp Board 50W 4 100W 2 | eBay

This is the perfect configuration that I needed, 4 x 50W for the MT pair, and 2 x 100W for the 2 woofers wired in parallel.

The only thing I wish it had is 6 RCA inputs.

How about 8 mono boards? TPA3116 or TPA3118? They can be quite small and low profile if you get ones with no "furniture" or pot. Sanwu blue TPA3118 is a reasonable example.

How does this work? Wouldn't I need 8 power supplies in this case?

Somehow came across this.

5 1 TPA3116 Digital Amplifier Board 6 Channel Amp Board 50W 4 100W 2 | eBay

This is the perfect configuration that I needed, 4 x 50W for the MT pair, and 2 x 100W for the 2 woofers wired in parallel.

The only thing I wish it had is 6 RCA inputs.

How does this work? Wouldn't I need 8 power supplies in this case?

Case, PSU, input and speaker output wiring is all DIY anyway, so why worry about RCAs. Without them board mounted you have freedom to mount them anywhere and run cable to the BFO JST connector. Same with the speaker outputs too. Arguably, you'd demount the green terminals and solder direct. Though I haven't on my dual chip.

Regards the "8xmono" idea.... In theory one big PSU will do. Though some have reported issues when running many amps off one PSU.

Case, PSU, input and speaker output wiring is all DIY anyway, so why worry about RCAs. Without them board mounted you have freedom to mount them anywhere and run cable to the BFO JST connector. Same with the speaker outputs too. Arguably, you'd demount the green terminals and solder direct. Though I haven't on my dual chip.

Regards the "8xmono" idea.... In theory one big PSU will do. Though some have reported issues when running many amps off one PSU.

What kind of problems do people report with one big PSU? Seems like in theory it would work.

You must make one as master and the rest as slaves. It will work anyhow, but you will get strange noise and bass anomalies (beating).

Buying a Chinese 5.1 card is no guarantee they have configured it correctly and the noise and bass interruption may be there.

Soldering is easy. Take some time to learn. It is something you will always use and something to add to your CV :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.