41Hz?????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Probably a combination of too much competition and other things going on in Jans life. I think it was more or less a side project for him.

When 41Hz started he was offering one of a kind products; there were few alternatives for reasonably priced, good quality kits. Now the market is flooded with Class-D options.

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
How does anyone compete with a $11 100w/ch TDA7298 module that actually sounds decent (shipping included)?!

A lot of cheap and good stuff to find that's for sure, but I'm not so quick to jump on cheap modules any more since I experienced extremely poor pcb's on some TDA7297 both modules and kits, on occasion I've had pcb traces evaporate during soldering, granted my skills are not the same as when I worked in a repair shop, but I still have no issue with tiny smd components and such. Also a lot of the connectors on many of the various modules have poor quality, so in many cases it's better to find modules without connectors.

Now I take my time before carefully choosing what to order, it's not that I've lost any great amount of money on poor quality. It's just very disappointing when you're expecting a half decent product and you end up using p2p wiring.

In my experience, 41hz and other "western" suppliers have had stricter quality control and more refined products overall, especially pcb traces have been better dimensioned, sad to see them go.

Last edited:
Jan's boards tended to use heavywieght copper on both the traces and ground planes.
Made soldering a difficult job without a decent soldering iron of sufficient wattage and even then it paid to pre warm the boards before assembly.
By comparison some of the Chinese (but not all) boards have traces that seem to evaporate at the slightest touch of heat.
But when a 41HZ Amp 3 costs around £30 in kit form and a complete Breeze TPA3116D2 in a case is just £22 shipped, what you going to do?
I'm sure that I read somewhere that Jan wasn't a well man and I wish him well and a speedy recovery because my dealings with him in the past were always excellent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.