2x100W TPA3116D2 (2 chips, each in PBTL)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Dear Daijoubu, Thank you so much for your reply. As a matter fo fact, I am not that expert. Following either of these solutions could you please be a bit more specific and let me know to which chip I should apply the mod. There are two chips. I attach an image uploaded by one the members
(carpne) of this forum which is exactly my circuit. Thank you so much in advance.

Attachments

• Dual P22.jpg
    Dual P22.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
You'll have to do both as each is in PBTL and handles one channel (L and R)

Dear Daijoubu, I did apply the first mod HERE to the left channel only. It only delays turning on that channel. Now the left channel starts later than the right channel. However, the pop is still there for both channels, the right and the left. No difference at all. I can definitely say that this mod does not affect the turn off pop. It makes delay on turning on. I have no issue with turning on the amplifier. No pop .. nothing.

Hi farhad-San, If you like to try my Muting Driver circuit as follows...

I should admit that it works.... yes, it works. This is the simplest solution for the turn-off thump problem I have ever found on the net. I should thank you so much CyberPit. I made one of these drivers and applied to one channel. That channel waits almost 4 sec before it starts. Then, when I turn the amp off that channel turns off without pop. Nothing at all. Dead silent :). I should say that I did not have access to 2N7000 so I used JRFZ44 instead. Thank you again all you guys for helping me. This "Muting Driver Circuit" just works.... no turn-off thump at all for my module m190 or hw-303 V3. CyberPit your circuit is excellent. I appreciate your help.

Attachments

• photo_2020-05-10 17.16.37.jpeg
    photo_2020-05-10 17.16.37.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Hi farhad-San,
I'm glad to hear that.
I guess you need only one driver board. It can drive two boards as well.
CyberPit: Two questions, 1- how can I decrease the waiting-time? It takes almost 4 sec to start the amp. and then the amp starts abruptly not smoothly. 2- what happens if I do not remove 100k resistor at pin 12. In fact I have not removed them yet and the driver works fine for both chips.

Hi farhad-San,

questions, 1- how can I decrease the waiting-time? It takes almost 4 sec to start the amp. and then the amp starts abruptly not smoothly.
This Muting Driver Circuit has Power-ON Muting and Power-OFF Muting features. Power-On Muting uses a time to charge the 3.3uF Capacitor via 1M ohm resistor. So there are 2 ways to shorten that duration. One is to decrease the resistance of 1M ohm resistor, and the other way is decreasing 3.3uF Capacitor's Capacitance. If you change one of them to half then the Power-ON Muting Duration will be Half (=2sec).
I will recommend decreasing the Capacitance method.

Power-OFF Muting will start when the VCC voltage bellows approx. 14 volt. If you change the Zenor Diode voltage, Muting start voltage-below will shifts simultaneously.

2- what happens if I do not remove 100k resistor at pin 12. In fact I have not removed them yet and the driver works fine for both chips.
Originally existing 100K resistor is not affect the Power-ON Muting Duration. But this resistor forms Voltage Divider with high-side 10K resistor. This means a voltage to mute TPA3115D2 will be lower than the removed case. A threshold voltage of the Muting function is 2 volt. Thus means driving voltage will decrease a little bit. So if you not remove this (100K ohm) resistor, but it is not a big matter.

CyberPit

Hi farhad-San,

This Muting Driver Circuit has Power-ON Muting and Power-OFF Muting features. Power-On Muting uses a time to charge the 3.3uF Capacitor via 1M ohm resistor. So there are 2 ways to shorten that duration. One is to decrease the resistance of 1M ohm resistor, and the other way is decreasing 3.3uF Capacitor's Capacitance. If you change one of them to half then the Power-ON Muting Duration will be Half (=2sec).
I will recommend decreasing the Capacitance method.

Power-OFF Muting will start when the VCC voltage bellows approx. 14 volt. If you change the Zenor Diode voltage, Muting start voltage-below will shifts simultaneously.

Originally existing 100K resistor is not affect the Power-ON Muting Duration. But this resistor forms Voltage Divider with high-side 10K resistor. This means a voltage to mute TPA3115D2 will be lower than the removed case. A threshold voltage of the Muting function is 2 volt. Thus means driving voltage will decrease a little bit. So if you not remove this (100K ohm) resistor, but it is not a big matter.

CyberPit

Dear CyberPit: I changed the 1M resistor with a 500K and the waiting-time is reduced as expected. The driver also works fine for both channels at the same time. However, I have two new challenges now:

1- The amp does not work with 12V-5A switching power supply. Although it works with a linear 12V-5A which is rectified (almost 17V-5A).

2- The module suffers from clipping at low frequencies (heavy bass). Do you have any idea why this happens? Is it related to the voltage? Or the decoupling caps?

Thanks.

1- The amp does not work with 12V-5A switching power supply. Although it works with a linear 12V-5A which is rectified (almost 17V-5A).

2- The module suffers from clipping at low frequencies (heavy bass). Do you have any idea why this happens? Is it related to the voltage? Or the decoupling caps?
Thanks.

I guess it depends on the supply voltage. My design was applied for DC19V regulated supply. Perhaps the LF distortion occurs on supply voltage drop point. If you want operate with regulated DC12V supply, you need to change the zener diode from 12V to 5.6V.

I guess it depends on the supply voltage. My design was applied for DC19V regulated supply. Perhaps the LF distortion occurs on supply voltage drop point. If you want operate with regulated DC12V supply, you need to change the zener diode from 12V to 5.6V.

Hi CyberPit, Just wanted to confirm that using a zener diode 5.6V it works just fine with 12V switching power supply. Thank you so much. Just a question: is it possible to design the driver so it covers 12-24V?

Attachments

• photo_2020-05-12 14.12.12.jpeg
    photo_2020-05-12 14.12.12.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
No problem between form 19V through 24V.
Hi CyberPit; The driver works just fine but there is a new issue I did not have checked before. At MAX volume (or very high volume) the amp module switches between mute and un-mute states so the out put sound starts and stops repeatedly. Kind of turning on and off the amp very quickly. This does not happen at low volume. Do you have any idea why? Does it have anything to do with input voltage? Thank a lot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.