Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boggit: I am very happy to have your sighted listening impressions and subjective descriptions between the Burson and Sparkos OPAs, thank you. After more listening, please describe the differences as best you can, and do not worry about being sighted, most here probably listen to their systems without a blindfold anyway ;-) (except julf, just kidding ya) !
Considering that the NC output is very transparent, I suspect the difference in sound that Boggit reports will be entirely due to sonic differences between Burson and Sparkos. In fact, this platform might be the best way to really get an idea of what many different OPAs sound like.

Boggit: I am very happy to have your sighted listening impressions and subjective descriptions between the Burson and Sparkos OPAs, thank you. After more listening, please describe the differences as best you can, and do not worry about being sighted, most here probably listen to their systems without a blindfold anyway ;-) (except julf, just kidding ya)!

Indeed, seems I am the only one here who believes in any sort of objective quality, as opposed to what people on the Internet thinks is best. :)

I guess I am a dying breed :)

Considering that the NC output is very transparent, I suspect the difference in sound that Boggit reports will be entirely due to sonic differences between Burson and Sparkos. In fact, this platform might be the best way to really get an idea of what many different OPAs sound like.
Which is why the engineer in me thinks it is a real shame to throw away this opportunity to get actual objective verification...

Indeed, seems I am the only one here who believes in any sort of objective quality, as opposed to what people on the Internet thinks is best. :)

I guess I am a dying breed :)

Which is why the engineer in me thinks it is a real shame to throw away this opportunity to get actual objective verification...

This is a great thing. For you the LM4562 will probably be the best choice as it will save you money.

get a

Well if it looks the same on paper, it's probably the same, so why not?

Crown...

I am all for measurements. But very few people have access to the required equipment (an AP2) to measure this performance. And, measurements never tell the entire story. Maybe, sometime in the future, we will learn how to measure every aspect of an audio components performance, but I can easily accept that we cannot now. Heck, My Putzeys himself relies on listening tests to back up, and/or direct his design approach.

Crown...

I am all for measurements. But very few people have access to the required equipment (an AP2) to measure this performance. And, measurements never tell the entire story. Maybe, sometime in the future, we will learn how to measure every aspect of an audio components performance, but I can easily accept that we cannot now. Heck, My Putzeys himself relies on listening tests to back up, and/or direct his design approach.

Maybe in 2050 they will tell the whole story. Unless AP has reached a point where they peaked out, and the systems they sell in 2050 will be exactly the same as today. In that case they should shut down their R&D department all together.

OK ill give you what I found tonight and is completely un scientific.
It was my intention to come in and do a slow back to back comparison. However I had to order the PCB's which was a lot more complex than I thought, so many options. I had to upload the Zip file my brother sent me, then the Eurocircuits website analysed the uploads and then told me it was missing the top silk screen layer, yes my brother forgot to include it any way after a conversation the correct files were uploaded and the boards ordered. I digress my 13 year old had a friend around so I said, pick a song, Justin Beiber, played it through the standard amp. some 10 mins later, I had a few beers by them I plugged in the new boards with the Sparkos Labs op amps in, quickly followed by the Burson, yep they picked the Sparkos. Going from the standard I/O board to the Sparkos, opposite away around to last night really confirmed a wonderful improvement in richness, and texture and confirmed last nights findings.

I am all for measurements. But very few people have access to the required equipment (an AP2) to measure this performance.

Things have really changed in the last 10 years. All you need is a decentg ADC - everything else is software.

And, measurements never tell the entire story. Maybe, sometime in the future, we will learn how to measure every aspect of an audio components performance, but I can easily accept that we cannot now. Heck, My Putzeys himself relies on listening tests to back up, and/or direct his design approach.
Yes, listening helps you identify problems - but measurements then help you to drill down on the issues, and above all, to test your improvements/theory.

I digress my 13 year old had a friend around so I said, pick a song, Justin Beiber, played it through the standard amp. some 10 mins later, I had a few beers by them I plugged in the new boards with the Sparkos Labs op amps in, quickly followed by the Burson, yep they picked the Sparkos.

So are you saying the Sparkos make the ncore sound like a smartphone played through dr dre headphones? :)

Actually the tightness isn't anywhere as important as the evenness and symmetry - and minimizing the area of any loops. The issue with the nc400 is that it is all too tempting to have the output leads go out in opposed directions, leading to a rather large loop that works all too well as a loop antenna.

You should show us an example of a Julf signature twist :)

You should show us an example of a Julf signature twist :)

Right now, in the middle of the preparations for Christmas, I am pretty sure digging out and opening up one of the amps wouldn't go down very well with my wife, but the idea of minimizing the area of any loops isn't very complicated. As I am sure you know, any induced noise is directly proportional to the loop area. There have been some pictures of very nicely done twists in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.