New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for your answer.

And actually we can accept special order of v1, solder sta510A chip on it. You can contact Nick for detail.

Wow, very nice offer ! I'll think about it.
This makes me ask another question: what does limit the input voltage to 31V ? (STA508 datasheet says it can handle up to 36V; STA510A up to 39V !) Is there some component that is not dimensioned for such voltage ? Maybe the 5V regulator would need some heatsink ?

Hello, I need an advice. I'm building 88dB speakers rated at 160W 4Ohm and I need to power them, but I don't know what to choose. I found your webpage but I don't really know if I should go with T3 (didn't find any topic about it here if there is one please point me) or this amp. I would rather go with quality than quantity, but I think 100W is not enough. I know it's just 3dB but If I would want to add some tone controls it would need more power from the amp am I right? Is it even possible to add some tone controls to your amps? also, is it possible to limit the volume without sacrificing the quality? I don't want to accidentally feed 300W to my newly built speakers. Sorry for my noobish questions, but I don't know where else I should ask.

This makes me ask another question: what does limit the input voltage to 31V ? (STA508 datasheet says it can handle up to 36V; STA510A up to 39V !) Is there some component that is not dimensioned for such voltage ? Maybe the 5V regulator would need some heatsink ?

Ok, I checked the beginning of the thread, and it seams that the relays don't like higher voltage. So i'll have to adjust the step down resistor.
Furthermore, I'll have to adjust the feedback resistors to the TC2000 too. Do you see anything else ?

heat

Ok, I checked the beginning of the thread, and it seams that the relays don't like higher voltage. So i'll have to adjust the step down resistor.
Furthermore, I'll have to adjust the feedback resistors to the TC2000 too. Do you see anything else ?
You may overheat the heat sink and burn the chips if you go up to 39V.

Thanks for your answer.

Wow, very nice offer !

Does this offer apply to v2 also?

Hello, I need an advice. I'm building 88dB speakers rated at 160W 4Ohm and I need to power them, but I don't know what to choose. I found your webpage but I don't really know if I should go with T3 (didn't find any topic about it here if there is one please point me) or this amp. I would rather go with quality than quantity, but I think 100W is not enough. I know it's just 3dB but If I would want to add some tone controls it would need more power from the amp am I right? Is it even possible to add some tone controls to your amps? also, is it possible to limit the volume without sacrificing the quality? I don't want to accidentally feed 300W to my newly built speakers. Sorry for my noobish questions, but I don't know where else I should ask.

I was considering the same, but realized after putting a TK2050 2*50watt sure amp on my speakers that the 2*100watt from the hifimediy amp would be adequate. It is around 50 watts with low distortion.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer.

Wow, very nice offer ! I'll think about it.

yes, you have to know very well before DIY on board. For STA510A, we will change the value of resistor for relay to meet higher voltage use. And I think the heatsink is ok for that, because we use same one on v2, which is similar power as v1 with STA510. ;)

Hi, T3 is the only choice I think. And you can add pre-amp before this amp to control tone or volume. Or if you add a potmeter, it will be another simple way to control volume and good quality. Nick sell some potmeter with small PCB.

Hi Steinar, can you please tell me if the switch on V1 board is switching directly power or is it switching the power relay?
I want to relocate it on the front of my case but I need to know which kind of switch I have to order (current rating mainly).

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Hi hifimediy,

Second, did you consider making an amp with STA510A as power amplifier ? This chip is the only one from the STA5xx series to have a 150mOhm typical RdsON (vs 200mOhm for the others; hence the A suffix ?). It would quite enhance the damping factor, I think.

Thanks.

Hifimediy it is not a question of more wattage, but it would be nice to have a better damping factor. This is not possible with v2 amp (to use the STA510A)?

yes, you have to know very well before DIY on board. For STA510A, we will change the value of resistor for relay to meet higher voltage use. And I think the heatsink is ok for that, because we use same one on v2, which is similar power as v1 with STA510. ;)

OK, thanks for these informations. Nice to knom the relays resistor will be changed. But will you adapt the feedback resistors too, as I wondered earlier ? If I go for 36V Vcc, with 1kOhm Rfbb we must have 17kOhm Rfbc. Or maybe another combination since 17kOhm may not be easily available. This will also increase a bit the gain; should I also compensate for it by decreasing Rf ?

About the gain, I was always puzzled looking at the 1.5V input sensitivity of TC2000. But now, I may have found why: the datasheet says the output of TC2000 should be driven up to 4Vpp. With a unity gain on the input stage, which is biased at 2.5V this leaves a 1.5V headroom, our input sensitivity ! Am I wrong on that ?

This make me think : with common 2V line input voltage, shouldn't we decrease a bit the input gain ? Like making Rf 15kOhm ?

Maybe you already thought about that, I am just trying to understand better your schematics…

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.