Sonic impact t-amp problem/question.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I appreciate it is possible that this has been covered in another t-amp thread but I have read quite few and can't find anything.
Just got one (gen1) as a beginner mod project, just the usual.
However, while it sounds pretty good as is I get the impression that the volume seems to drop a bit when say there is a fairly bass heavy part then more parts in the midrange come in. It's like the level of the bass just floats away a bit. It sometimes slowly seems to return to normal level. I think this is even happening at lower volumes but its harder to tell. The nearest thing I can equate it to is that thing you get if watching a live band outdoors from a distance and the wind comes along and blows some of the frequency range away, though not a pronounced maybe.

I'm still using a basic wall wart which only has 500mA to it so could this have something to do with it? I will be adding some decent sized tank caps too and running it off either a large battery or an SMPS. I'm hoping its just that the amplifier doesn't have enough readily available current to deal with more complex a and bass heavy sections and the future mods will resolve this. Did anyone else notice anything like this with theirs as stock?

My thanks in advance for your responses.

Doug

Yeah, I kinda knew that was the obvious answer... I just wasn't sure that the low rated PS would cause the low end drift off at low volumes. I was worried it was something up with the amp as it's an ebay job. I actually have an SMPS which gives about 5A but I need it for a battery fast charger so I can't swap the connection on it.

Just wanted someone else who had used it with a crap PSU as standard to tell me theirs did the same.

Ta

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.