SMPS for class D module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
NewTesla, you said your supply was +/- 60V.

the spec sheet for that supply shows +/-75V - did you have them change this for you? if so, did the mod cost?

This power supply looks pretty ideal for my project, which is a combined 3 channel amp to run a pair of mains - BFM DR200's from a Truepath - and a mono Sub channel - currently a pair of BFM Autotubas from a UcD400 module.

cheers

ben

Hi,

I'm not NewTesla but I will give some info on my experienced with the vendor.

I think the spec. that is published is the old one, because when they sent me the connection diagram, the output voltages were: +/-80V, +/-30V, +/-12V and 12V for fans.

I requested to lower the 80V to 55V and isolate the +/-12V to be used for Truepath, that is no cost to me. I think most modification are free as long as there is no substantial amount on parts added to it.

Joe

can anyone who has used this power supply with a truepath give details of deriving the 5v and 10V supplies from it? the 5V is referenced from ground, but the 10V is ref'd from the -ve rail, so they both cant come off the 12v supply. i was thinking the 30v supply could provide the 10V requirement, and the 12v supply the 5V one.

but if someone could knock up a quick circuit diagram, and let me know what I need to tell Red Rocks to do to the supply, i would be much indebted.

cheers,

ben

thanks for the links to red Rock's circuit diagrams

I just ordered one of these supplies, and the cost was US$204 plus US$60 shipping to australia.

you need to request them to modify the supply to suit a truepath (60V rails, floating 12v supply) - which they do at no cost.

Im going to be running both a truepath and a UcD400 from one of these supplies, whioch since both use 60v rails, is not an issue. Im not sure if they can modify the 30V rails, but it would certainly be interesting to know.

a version of this supply that could deliver +/-60V AND +/-80V would certainly be interesting, but probably pushing the limits of the design. im thinking Truepath driven main speakers, plus UcD700 driven subs...

Has anyone been in communication with Red Rocks? I have 2 miniPROCII boards that won't connect via USB to the tuning application and can't get any response from Jose. Did they go bankrupt??

However, REDROCKSAUDIO

Manufacture those in CHNINA (MASS PRODUCTION) they say its made in Spain, and orginally REDROCKSAUDIO are SELLING those PRODUCTS from ANOTHER COMPANY.

I dont like there approach in dealing with people. They dont respond properly

Almost everybody is having their PCBs made and at least partially stuffed in China. But I have some stuff from them and it does definitely not look like Chinese design (and I'm not saying that I like their design either :D I would do many things in a different way).

almost everybody is having their pcbs made and at least partially stuffed in china. But i have some stuff from them and it does definitely not look like chinese design (and i'm not saying that i like their design either :d i would do many things in a different way).

do you know the original company name? Who does the manufacturing?

I wanted to buy a smps from them, i am waiting aresponse from them, since 1/12/2009

I just got a reply from Jose:)

Appears Red Rocks has merged with another company and is no longer manufacturing the miniPROC. However, Jose did give me a method for restoring the USB boot loader. I'm going to try it now and see if it works, I can post if anyone's interested.

P.S. apologies for hijacking the original thread - my bad:mischiev:

P.P.S. I'm also using their SMPS which I must say is working flawlessly & very quiet!

Without data it's only an opinion.

But to answer your first question, I bench tested it into a variety of resistive loads up to 50W looking at input & output volts & current and monitoring the output voltage on a scope. This gave me efficiency and ripple in best case scenario.

Then I bench tested it with 3 ucd180 modules, again into resistive loads using music and sinusoid test stimuli to see what dynamic loading was like and build confidence before applying to speakers.

Since then I have power cycled the thing in the full system countless times over the past 3 months, tweaking the system and it has never popped, crackled, whined or buzzed. All the smoke is still inside.

But what I like best is how quiet the ucd modules are with this supply. Now, they're also quiet with the Hypex SMPS and probably others that I haven't tried, but all these mix/mash ups are still quieter (listening test) than my old school class B's on a giant toroid.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.