The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

I've just finished the rebuild of my Boominator and one of the things I learned while at the Roskilde festival was to build your Boominator using philips screws! I used Torx screws for mine in the v1 and when I had to repair it at Roskilde it was a freaking nightmare to remove the cover plate for the electronics compartment. In my v1.5, I've used Philips screws for any place where I might need to get at and then just Torx screws for the speakers and such.

Oh and, does anyone have a fancy guide on how to clean/polish solar panels? My two small ones got a bit dirty and scratched at Roskilde and I could clean them with normal water but how about removing the small scratches?

Got a question...duh. What should i do to keep my 2 12v batterys in the best shape over the whinter? The whinter is closing, so i thought i just ask :)

Disconnect them from the boominator and charge them fully.
Then they can be stored for few months without any care and without being harmed. To be sure you can charge them every 30-60 days or buy a float charger.
A float charger charges the batteries fully and then let power drop to a point where it starts charging them up again.

Hello everybody

I'm making a boombox, got a budget of 1800 dkk, and was wondering if it's even possible. I'm making the box for a group of 16 people.
I already got a tripath class D amp, so the amplifier is not something I'll have to buy.

The box should also be able to play, if not the entire week, then with atmost 2 recharges.

gotta know if i have to make them pay a little more money :joker:

Hello everybody

I'm making a boombox, got a budget of 1800 dkk, and was wondering if it's even possible. I'm making the box for a group of 16 people.
I already got a tripath class D amp, so the amplifier is not something I'll have to buy.

The box should also be able to play, if not the entire week, then with atmost 2 recharges.

Hey Lars, I'm guessing you are danish on the basis of your name. I'd approximate the price of the boominator build to be around 3000dkr if you do a budget build and dont go all out with materials etc.. The most expensive parts are the HP10w, the wood and the batteries. In your case, you already have an amp, so you'll probably be able to build it for around 2700-2800dkr!

Hey Lars, I'm guessing you are danish on the basis of your name. I'd approximate the price of the boominator build to be around 3000dkr if you do a budget build and dont go all out with materials etc.. The most expensive parts are the HP10w, the wood and the batteries. In your case, you already have an amp, so you'll probably be able to build it for around 2700-2800dkr!

Hey Phaedras

First of all you guessed right ;) (I guess Jensen gave me away)

I have read through the thread last year and know that i can't build a boominator with that budget, but if I use something not as top quality, would it then be possible? :)

And what are the most important things I have to look for when I'm going to look for speakers? :)

Hello everybody

You can go with a half-Boomniator perhaps. Or do as Phaedras suggest above and up the budget slightly.

Got a question...duh. What should i do to keep my 2 12v batterys in the best shape over the whinter? The whinter is closing, so i thought i just ask :)

Just charge them up fully and then tuck them up in a quiet corner. If you are really paranoid you can then give them a top up charge a couple of months later, if during this you then find they haven't really discharged much at a all in that two months you can leave them until the spring. If you find that in the two months they have run pretty flat you can either keep topping them up every month or so or just throw them away and replace with decent ones.

Basically never let them discharge fully and keep them as close to 100% charge at all times as you can.