• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

4 channel amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking to make a 4 channel amp for the Linkwitz LXmini as well as any other speaker I plan to use DSP. Would it be feasible to just purchase the stereo kit and add two more lm3886 amps PCBs? Or would this overwhelm the power supply and I would have to have a separate power source for the extra channels?

Just some thoughts (rather than advice) from me... I plan to do the same and for the same purpose but with four LM3875 Audiosector 'units'.

I had toyed with the idea of a dual mono approach when I was going to make a two channel amp but the consensus here seemed to be that it's hardly worth bothering, and putting four toroids in a case seems a bit excessive. I think there's a case for a rectifer board for each channel but I'd welcome any comments.

Re the power supply, where I was going to get a 200VAC 2x24v toroid I think I'll get two. I can't seem to find much information on the minimum/optimum VAC for the LM3875 but my guess is that this should do it.

The shame is that the old pro amp that I'll be using as a case has a massive Holden & Fisher toroid in it but the outputs are 2x76v and stepping that down for this purpose looks like a job way beyond my current knowledge.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.