How to improve this amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any ideas for your amp guru's out there. I bought one of these to power my sub before I found this website. I'm building a couple 3886 mono blocks and a stereo 3687. I wonder if I should parallel the 3886 and use those for sub amplification instead of my mains and just forget using surround sound. Seems like most people on here don't put much stock in surround sound anyway. I have never really had a home theatre so I don't have an opinion as of yet.

http://www.apexjr.com/jrsch.htm

if u have a good surround processor and if u listen to dvd audio or maybe dvd movies then i would recommend using surround speakers.

without surround there is no point in wacthing movies.
and also if u have good front speakers (not satellites) then u can just cut off the subwoofer and send the lows to the front speakers. and then place the front speakers at two corners in the front. it really gives a good effect.

i would not recommend skipping the surrounds.

because two large front speakers are better than one subwoofer. this configuration spreads the bass more nicely than one subwoofer kept in a corner.

but if u listen to cd audio then u can maybe skip the surrounds.

and have u tried opa541's they are pretty good, i have used them to power my sub. and the main part is that the schematic is extremely simple. to build.

ofcourse lm3886 are much better on the grounds of sound quality.

lm3886 should be used to power speakers more than subwoofers because from the sub all u get is low frequencies,

where as the lm3886 are better for crisp and sharp sounds alsong with smooth bass. so they're not worth to be used in a sub.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.