my parallel 2x OPA541 chip amp completed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey i have just completed an amp using 2 opa541/s in parallel configuration and i am pretty impressed considering how simple the amp was to build. the chips kept nice and cool i have both on one medium-sized heatsink. i am powering it with a +-15V 5 amp supply with 2 x 470uf 63V caps and i am using one 1000uf 50v cap on each rail for supply biasing for the chips the sound quality for the mids and highs were fairly good, but i had very low amount of bass. i think this is due to not using the proper amount of capacitance for the supply and biasing. does anybody know if increasing the 2 470 uf caps to about 22000uf for the supply and using around near the same value for the rails on the chips will do anything for the bass? sorry i have no pics of the amp but it is in a nice aluminum case with a very large but nice looking volume knob and it works with no faults just fine.

i would like to thank soundnerd for helping me out with this project

Increasing capacitance to get better bass response might be your ticket. Try it and listen.

Do you intend to use higher supply voltages later on?
Otherwise one chip will do at +-15V.
(2nd chip shouldn´t hurt though)

Have you paralleled the chips per Nationals app-note for example (AN-1192) or did you "slave" the second chip?
Just curious how that one would work out as I planned that for my little sub-amp.

greets

i just added more capacitance to my amp on my psu i added 2 6800uf caps on to the 2 470s i already had and i also added to the chips 2 470uf caps it has greatly improved the power and performance of the bass and also improved the quality of the sound and for your question about the parallel configuration i will just show you my schematic that i used:

Attachments

• fig2.gif
    fig2.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 441
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.