Heat Sink Sources?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I've been unable to find nice low profile heat sinks for my GC. Its based on the 3786, using the National Semi evaluation kit PCB. The chassis is 2U, and the part is non-insulated, so the heat sink height < 2.5". I haven't finalized thermal needs yet, but I may upgrade to the 3886 and am looking for a heat sink that's efficient.

I've checked the usual sources (digikey, electrosonic, mouser) and nothing seemed appropriate.

So, could someone recommend a good place to source heat sinks for these little guys?

Thanks!
Dave

here is a picture...

Attachments

• digibds.jpg
    digibds.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 516
Second-hand car stereo, car power amps and computer junk lying about or from thrift stores + an aluminum angle jig to hold things steady in my milwaukee compound miter saw and using a 10" non-ferrous blade + ear plugs and safety glasses
= just about any kind of heat sink my imagination can come up with.
The non-ferrous blade leaves such a burr free clean finish that it's often not necessary to do anything more to it. Of course, unless you have these tools handy, and have enough other uses for a fifty dollar specialty blade like this, it would be far cheaper to keep looking for exactly the right off-the-shelf heatsink.

Be EXTREMELY careful. If the piece you're cutting into with this arrangement isn't clamped rock-solid against movement you greatly increase the risk of the blade over-biting, and then something's gonna break - the piece, the saw, or you. And never attempt to cut aluminum with a standard ripping blade. You can get away with it on a table saw, but not on a miter saw. The angle of the carbide teeth is greater and almost guarantees catastrophe - especially on smaller pieces. A non-ferrous blade has zero or even slightly negative "hook" on the teeth and makes things much safer.

I think I found the perfect sink hinks for these chip amps:
http://www.conradheatsinks.com/products/index.html

Thanks for the great suggestions, but what turns me onto these are the thick bottom plates and tall fins. They aren't smoking deals like Elec goldmine, but I think these will have a much better thermal resistance rating. And they're pretty cheap.

I was quoted MF20-50 x 1 @ 14.09 ea. (11.13US)
Delivery (Aus. Post Economy Air 2-6 weeks). 14.86 (US 11.74). Delivery (Aus. Post Standard Air 7-12 working days) 17.86 (US 14.11). I plan to put together a larger order to cut down the post/unit.

I asked Thermaflow for a quote and looked for a local source for cheap CPU coolers, but no luck.

In the interim, I also got lucky and found a 24"x8" x1.5" chunk of nice heatsink in a scrap bin at work. I rigged the table saw with a fiber wheel and cut a 2"x8" piece off. Pic below:

Attachments

• hsink.jpg
    hsink.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 189
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.