Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Audio Amplifier Module grounding help
Audio Amplifier Module grounding help
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2020, 02:23 AM   #1
Aswinth is offline Aswinth
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Audio Amplifier Module grounding help

Hi I am relatively new to electronics so please take it easy on me.

I am building a DIY Bluetooth Speaker, everything works fine when I use my breadboard amplifier that I build using LM386. But I need a stereo output to decided to use the PAM8043 Amplifier IC. To save time I directly purchased the PAM8043 Amplifier Module from the link.

As you can see in the image (from the link) the module is powered by +5V and ground and the audio input L,R and Ground. Should I connect the audio ground with the power supply ground? My logical brain says it should not be done, but when I don't do it I get a humming noise and when I connect both grounds it the PAM8043 is getting hot. So what could be the problem here?
Old 26th March 2020, 02:50 PM   #2
sgrossklass is offline sgrossklass  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hard to say without seeing the build and knowing how it's powered.

If you use a dedicated, galvanically isolated power supply for the power amplifier module, audio ground and power ground should be connected. If you are attempting to feed BT module + power amplifier from a single supply, they should not.

Speaker leads and power leads should be twisted.

Audio cables should be shielded.

While the PAM8403 is advertised as "filterless", it is probably a good idea to add some common-mode chokes at the output. Check results with an AM/FM radio at least.

The seller of your amplifier module may have a problem with dyslexia, asuming that the actual chip says PAM8403. Could be a knockoff chip otherwise.

Audio Amplifier Module grounding helpHide this!Advertise here!