Better SQ after warm up?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think my LM1875T based amp sounds better after warm up for an hour or so.

- Anyone else have such an experience?
- Is it OK to leave these chips powered on continuously so it's ready to go when I have time for listening?

Perhaps change the power switch to just kill the tube input buffers (filament and B+), leave the +/- supply to the '1875 on continuously?

Has anyone ever used a resistive heating element to maintain thermal equilibrium when their amp is "off"? (Elaborate power switch that cuts filament and B+ to tubes, switches +/- power from '1875 amps to resistor in "off" position) I have a 4PST switch I've been saving for something for years...

Thanks,

The only way to know for sure would be double-blind testing with two amps, identical except for when they are switched on.

In reality thermal equilibrium should be established quicker than 1 hour, more like 10 to 20 minutes, so its very easily attributable to human factors, such as your ears and brain warming up!

Actually I would think the "tube input buffers" would change the sound more than the chipamp after an hour warmup, but then I agree with Mark, a DBT would be the only way to know for sure.

I've not heard of using a heating element like this, but yes, it could be done. It would be easier and no problem to just leave the amp on all the time. It would cost a little more on your electric bill.

Thanks, guys. Back in the day, they used to say the large Phase Linear (400) transistor amps would sound better as the circuits warmed temperature wise. I was just wondering if I was hearing a similar effect in this tiny SS output amp - and if anyone else noted a similar effect in theirs!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.