LM4780 fake or real?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't seen a LM4780 chip for almost a decade and recently received this module. I can't remember if the metal back of the chip looked like this one as it looks a bit suspect around the metal edges. I've also included a pic of the front.

I had a look for some pics online but only happened to find found one pic but it also looked like this.

BTW, it has been sanded but the edges were like this originally from the plating.

Attachments

• LM4780chip_back.jpg
    LM4780chip_back.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 260
  • LM4780chip_front.jpg
    LM4780chip_front.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
They're still around. People bought em by the hundreds.

Some of the boards on Flea Bay and Amazon are built with used components. I bought some too good to be true boards out of curiosity and the parts were genuine, but used. They worked too, but weren't the best implementation of the chips for sure.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
One thing in your favor is that this is a very uncommon IC package, perhaps unique. It's not like there is a pin-compatible 'cheap' dual power amp IC that can be remarked and used as a counterfeit.

I thought it was unique to TI too, they have a few different amp ICs with that housing, all from the early 2000s. Then I found the ST TDA7388 (PDF) and they used that housing for a number of 4-ch car amplifiers too. They range from 4x 25W (TDA7381) to 4x85W @2 Ohm (STPA002, STPA003). The 2-Ohm capability and seemingly good self protection makes these interesting. Anyway, there are a lot more different ICs available than I thought. The risk of it being fake seems not to be too low though since the LM4780 are available but already very expensive (>40 bucks) on some sources while others still offer complete amp kits with two of them for 12 bucks (China, who would have guessed that?).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.