Selector switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Hi I'm trying to add a selector switch to control inputs i.e tape CD mp3 ECT but I don't know
what type of switch to order. I want a rotory style switch but as for how many poles I need.

You need an X position 2 deck rotary switch for stereo, where X is the number of different sources.
Tape, CD, and mp3 would be 3 sources, so that's a 3 position 2 deck rotary switch.
Each deck is for one channel. Some switches however can have both channels on the same, single deck.
Of course you can get a switch with more positions than you need, and ground the extras.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
You'll need a two-pole switch with as many positions as you have sources. Note that some switches, like the Lorlin (EU) or C&K (North America) switches have stops that are movable. In those cases you can buy a two-pole, four position (or four throw; 2P4T) switch and move the stop one position and get a 2P3T switch out of it.

Ideally, the switch should be break-before-make, i.e. it breaks the connection with source #N before making the connection with source N+1 when you rotate the switch. Most switches are break-before-make.

Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.