Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Modding the SMSL SA-36A Pro
Modding the SMSL SA-36A Pro
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2016, 08:53 PM   #1
brozium is offline brozium
diyAudio Member

Question Modding the SMSL SA-36A Pro

So I just got my SA-36 but it's the TDA7492PE version.
I opened it and it has 2 4400uf 16v capacitors. Would there be any benefit in swapping them for 2 4400uf 25v ones? And can I have those 2 and add a 2200uf 25v extra?
I'm currently using a laptop power brick 19v 3.41A but I'm guessing it's not delivering all of the power. The chip is supposed to handle up to 26v.

Will post pictures of the replacements I bought.
Old 9th November 2016, 09:34 PM   #2
PRR is online now PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

> 19v 3.41A but I'm guessing it's not delivering all of the power.

This should be fine for two BTL at 8 Ohms.

> 16v capacitors. .... laptop power brick 19v

Those caps will die. Maybe in minutes, maybe not for months. If they die violently, it's a real mess.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ok so I definitely need to swap out the capacitor. Also what do you mean by BTL? I googled it but still not sure how it applies here, I'm a noob with these things.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:54 PM   #4
abraxalito is online now abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
Run the chip at 25V and get some 25V caps in there. Best would be Nichicon or NCC or Samyoung - get as many as you can physically fit in there and go for lowest ESR.
Old 9th November 2016, 11:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Run the chip at 25V and get some 25V caps in there. Best would be Nichicon or NCC or Samyoung - get as many as you can physically fit in there and go for lowest ESR.
These are the ones I currently have (2 of each). Would these be good enough or should I order from the ones you listed. I would prefer to use the ones I have here because shipping takes a lot to Mexico.
Old 10th November 2016, 01:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brozium View Post
These are the ones I currently have (2 of each). Would these be good enough or should I order from the ones you listed. I would prefer to use the ones I have here because shipping takes a lot to Mexico.
Couldn't figure out how to edit but I got a couple of TEAPOs 4700uf 25v, it says SH105c, 12/15, A3 TD.

I googled TEAPO and they seem to be "good" with low resistence, I guess these would be better? They were more expensive than the ones in my previous post.
Old 10th November 2016, 02:14 AM   #7
abraxalito is online now abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
I don't recognise the brand markings on those so quite likely they're no-name Chinese brands. Which might possibly be OK (at best).
Are you saying the shipping cost exceeds the cost of capacitors? If so then it might pay you to order even more expensive capacitors - like OSCONs for example. They're the gold standard but they don't come in very high values, you'd need to parallel smaller values.

The thing to do is experiment with what sounds best, learn as you go. There's no 'right answer'.
Old 10th November 2016, 02:32 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Alright. Maybe I can get some better ones tomorrow with a friend who will help me solder.
Another quick question, would it be better to have a 12v and higher amperage psu? Or is a higher voltage better?
Old 10th November 2016, 04:46 AM   #9
PRR is online now PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

> power brick 19v .... > 25V ..... > better to have a 12v

Wait a second. You are riding off in all directions.

How much power do you need? Will there be a test?

In home speech/music systems, you need at least a Watt to play "loud". With low sensitivity speakers you would like considerably more. Many old-time speaker makers said "minimum 20 Watts". They would certainly play with less; they just didn't want to get blamed if the speakers didn't impress with flea-size amplifiers. There is no upper limit except your budget, and how careless you might be on your volume.

For Power you need *both* Voltage and Current. There is math. Let's skip this for now.

And 12V 19V 25V, while different, are not "very" different. "Much bigger" would be like 3 times the voltage (10X the power). Which exceeds the Maximum for this amplifier.

Your 19V supply, in this type amplifier, will make almost 20 Watts in 8 Ohms. Many many hi-fi fanatics have been happy with 20-watt jobs. At this level you need about 3 Amps, your brick has that and a bit more. You are in much better shape for power than many first-time builders.

And the laptop brick in your hand BEATS buying another supply for very little "improvement". Sure 25V is more than 19V, but I would not drive to town to get a 25V 4A supply. The difference in audio level isn't worth it.

And any amplifier YOU build will be "the best in the world", in your eyes. It is a very intoxicating thing to bend-up some wire and stuff, find electric life in it, and make sweet music. (Even if, as in my first self-design, it didn't get "sweet" until a 20 minute hard run every morning.)

Since you do have the 19V supply, those 15V caps have to go. As the chip is rated to 30V, and you could change supply later (get it working first!), 35V caps would be nice. But if 25V caps are in your hand (or in the mail), use those.

Build it. Don't agonize "could this be better?"
Old 10th November 2016, 05:02 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
>
Build it. Don't agonize "could this be better?"
Thanks for the advice. I know I'm all over the place I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing but I really want to learn. I have a pair of MB42Xs in this setup and I guess I wanted to get all I could out of them but you're right they do sound great. I will try to get some good caps and will swap them tomorrow if I can.

Modding the SMSL SA-36A ProHide this!Advertise here!