Anyone used a Power opamp as a voltage regulator ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Circlotron said:
How will this sit with the "Gaincones must have 1000uF filter caps" crowd? Regulated power supply rails will appear like infinite uF caps. According to them this will make it sound inferior. I think it could only improve the sound, although not much.

I am dissapointed with you. I would really have expected you to
come up with some exotic unorthodox alternative solution.
What's happening to you? Have you started drinking bottled
water? ;)

Regulated power supply rails will appear like infinite uF caps. According to them this will make it sound inferior.

Not necessarily. You may like calling certain circuits 'capacitance multipliers' but the subjective effect is very different than using large capacitance. Not necessarily better, but certainly different. It may turn out to work really well. If i were to try it, i'd definitely give the 317 preregulator a miss - it's sonic flavour (flavour? more like a stench) would be difficult to mask.

What I don't fancy is the preliferation of voltage levels in the circuit. I don't see why a simple zener referenced to the opamp inputs wouldn't do the trick. I don't understand how to set up the negative regulator and would like assistance on component values.

I read somewhere that the main benefit of using only 1000uf was the low resistance it offered. An opamp regulator would hopefully have a similar charaturistic. I also saw it sujested that the regulator might be followed by a 1000uf cap. I don't think most people understand fully why 1000uf sounds best, so its difficult to speculate what effect the regulator would have. Its main sujested benefit is in cleaning up noise in the higher frequencies, which the 1000uf cap and chips PSRR doesn't cope with well.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.