LM3875, LM3876 or LM3886? Which one produces better sound?

Which one of these chips produces better sound?

• LM3875

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • LM3876

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • LM3886

Votes: 31 47.0%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks! I think I will consider using the LM3876 instead of the LM3886, since it is a version of the LM3875 with mute. Indeed the LM3875 has better S/N ratio than the LM3886, and the efficiency doesn't differ that much.

The only experience I have is with the LM3875. I will play with the '76 and see if there is any difference. I need the mute feature for my next project.

The typ & max noise (ein) is quoted as 2uV & <8uV {3875} cf. 2uV & <10uV {3886}, indicating they have very similar ein noise values.
When converting the S/N ratios, it appears that for the 3875, the ein ~=1.8uV and for the 3886, the ein ~= 2.4uV.

Both of these are close to the typ figures and seem to confirm that the 3875 is indeed slightly less noisy when tested to fig2 schematic.

The typ & max noise (ein) is quoted as 2uV & <8uV {3875} cf. 2uV & <10uV {3886}, indicating they have very similar ein noise values.
When converting the S/N ratios, it appears that for the 3875, the ein ~=1.8uV and for the 3886, the ein ~= 2.4uV.

Both of these are close to the typ figures and seem to confirm that the 3875 is indeed slightly less noisy when tested to fig2 schematic.

But you still prefer discrete? It would be informative if some solid-state person share an opinion about these chips and National's other LME4981X driver stages.

I prefer what can drive the load properly.
Chipamps do well @ low power and/or with high efficiency speakers.
Above that I move to the chip driver + output stage or full discrete. But even with these the amplifier must be selected and built to suit the duty.

Total noob question here, Is it possible to run 6 LM1875 as a left channel, and 6 as a right, with 1 direct 240 Volt input? running the amps on 25 watts each, getting 150 WPC at 8ohm, with 1.25 amps. and how would i wire it, parrallel or in series? (I've never built an amp before)

My vote for the LM3875

In your opinion, which one of these chips is more pleasant to the ear? The LM3875, the LM3876 or the LM3886?

I have built and heard both the LM3875 and LM3886 gainclone amplifiers and I must say I prefered the LM3875 it sounded more refined, warmer, sweeter etc. It was also quieter. The LM3886 just didn't give the same level of satisfaction i.e. nothing to write home about. I guess the better S/N ratio helps the LM3875 bring out the fine details in the music. Another promising gainclone IC you might want to look at is the LM4780 there are a lot of praises for this part amongst the DIY community and elsewhere in this forum.

They *may* measure VERY slightly different but any microscopic differences will not be apparent to the ear.
Any "evidence" to the contrary is purely anecdotical.
Finding one "warmer" than anoither is nonsense and 150% subjective.
VERY MUCH doubt anybody can tell one from the other in a blind test.
Sorry.

They *may* measure VERY slightly different but any microscopic differences will not be apparent to the ear.
Any "evidence" to the contrary is purely anecdotical.
Finding one "warmer" than anoither is nonsense and 150% subjective.
VERY MUCH doubt anybody can tell one from the other in a blind test.
Sorry.

The differences between the two ICs is not micrsoscopic. If you have a look at the datasheets you will find the evidence that they are both very much different ICs e.g.

Continous Power: 56W RMs vs 68W
S/N: 98dB (at 1 watt) vs 92.5dB (at 1 watt)
Slew Rate: 11 V/s vs 19V/s

These are just some of the differences and they are not exactly microscopic. The LM3886 is a more powerful, faster but noisier part than the LM3875. The S/N ratio does make a significant difference to the fine details in the music. That is one of the reasons why we always strive to build a very quiet power supply for our audio gear.

Last edited:
Hi,
Just ordered two LM3876..
If I use pcb's from chipamp for example, no problem with schematic and pinout.
Comparing datasheet, LM3876 seams a little better than LM3886, and close to LM3875.
But at sounding ?
Does anyone has used LM3876 with same schematic of LM3886, and compare both LM's ?
Thank's.
Phil.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.