A few chipamp configuration questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I've been looking at some of the commercial kits available to try and get a handle on typical resistor values for gainclones. The one that seems to vary the most is the input resistor which varies from 220R to 1k, while the feedback resistors are universally 22k and 680R.

I am interested to know the relative merits (if any) of these different values for the input resistor.

Additionally, some place the 22k resistor from the input to ground before the input resistor and some place it after the input resistor. Is there any advantage to either method?

Your advice is appreciated.

Greg.

I am interested to know the relative merits (if any) of these different values for the input resistor.
Judging from the values you are refering to the blocking resistor. The datasheet describes its function like this.
Prevents currents from entering the amplifier’s non-inverting input which may be passed through to the load upon power-down of the system due to the low input impedance of the circuitry when the under-voltage circuitry is off. This phenomenon occurs when the supply voltages are below 1.5V.
The bigger the resistor, the better the protection and the bigger its potential bad influence on the sound.

Additionally, some place the 22k resistor from the input to ground before the input resistor and some place it after the input resistor. Is there any advantage to either method?
If the blocking resistor (1k) is placed before the input resistor (22k to ground) they form an attenuator. That reduces the input voltage by 1/23. If the blocking resistor's value was higher, you could use that as a limiter with powerful sources. With the blocking resistor after the input resistor you don't loose any input voltage, which may be an advantage with weak sources. No big difference either way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.