not a gainclone, but...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want try LM3875 as a subwoofer amplifier which will drive 8" subwoofer. So, it will be a small subwoofer system, not a monster scale one. Plus, I want to make an active crossover for it. Could anybody let me know where I can start from? Is there any website with DIY PCB for subwoofers? Any comment would be appreciated. Thanks.

JAZZ2250 said:
I want try LM3875 as a subwoofer amplifier which will drive 8" subwoofer. So, it will be a small subwoofer system, not a monster scale one. Plus, I want to make an active crossover for it. Could anybody let me know where I can start from? Is there any website with DIY PCB for subwoofers? Any comment would be appreciated. Thanks.
JAZZ2250

Subw-amps have lower demand for speed.
Makes it easier.
On the other hand they Need High Current Peak capacity.
Makes it harder to make a good sub-amp.
Trafo must be be strong enough.

To use a IC-power amp for sub can be done.
But such chips can not compete with a
discrete with the right Output Stage.

ICs are often limited in there current output,
sometimes EVEN protected by a current/power limiting cicuit.

For normal demand you can use a Power IC for SUB.
For best performance with LOW LOADS IMP,
I should go Discrete.

halo - not too discrete :goodbad: or moderate

Re: Re: not a gainclone, but...

halojoy said:
ICs are often limited in there current output,
sometimes EVEN protected by a current/power limiting cicuit.
Case in point, from the LM3875 datasheet:
Over-Voltage Protection: The LM3875 contains overvoltage protection circuitry that limits the output current to approximately 4Apeak while also providing voltage clamping, though not through internal clamping diodes. The clamping effect is quite the same, however, the output transistors are designed to work alternately by sinking large current spikes.

Hamish said:
what about trying burr-brown's OPA549? 75W and 10A peak current output. they dont sound too bad either. ive got a couple i tried in "gainclone" setup.
I think that can be interesting.
There are some other, not so fast Power Ops,
that very well can used as SUBwoofer amps.
That can put out a lot of power, TO3 case.
And would have enough speed for SUB-amp.
OPA549 is one of them.

halo

Hamish said:
what about trying burr-brown's OPA549? 75W and 10A peak current output. they dont sound too bad either. ive got a couple i tried in "gainclone" setup.

Thanks, Hamish. I checked the datasheet of OPA549, and it seems to be a good choice power-wise. I don't think I need more power than that. Did you try it in gainclone setup using a hard-wiring? How does it sound compared with LM3875?

BTW, is there any pcb layout available online for 2-way 2nd-order L-R crossover? Something like P09 in "Elliot Sound Products" (uing TL072 or compatible) would be fine. I'm thinking to put it in front of amplifier section and to send the HF (> 300 Hz) to LM3875 and the LF (< 300Hz) to OPA549. A crossover point of ~300Hz seems to be ok.

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.