sonic differences between inverting/non-inverting LM4780 VS both non-inverting LM4780

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking at Peter's website and it seems the LM4780 PCBs he sells are either both non-inverting or both inverting.

any sonic differences between Peter's board and inverting/non-inverting? I look at National's PDF and it uses inverting/non-inverting. It seems Pavel's PCB follows National's example.

also Peter's board has no provision for caps in the signal path
(unlike the National example) with is nice I presume.

any thoughts?

Thank you.

Hi,
technically, I prefer the non-inverting chipamp topology.
Preceed them with an inverter or unbalanced to balanced converter circuit.

But, some prefer the sound of the inverting chips, in which case adopt this for both and again preceed with a balanced output converter.

But, do drive only high impedance loads if you want to avoid premature current limiting in the chipamps. (my interpretation is one pair of bridged chipamps limited to just 7Apk can drive 12ohms to 30Vpk from about +-35Vdc supplies).

Re: sonic differences between inverting/non-inverting LM4780 VS both non-inverting LM4780

jarthel said:
I was looking at Peter's website and it seems the LM4780 PCBs he sells are either both non-inverting or both inverting.

The main reason for LM4780 kit to be noninverting only is versatility: the same dual chip can be either used as stereo, parallel or bridged amp, just by changing connection points and a jumper.

The second reason is that while I actually started with inverting topology, following further experimentation and feedback from customers, came later to conclusion that non inverting sounds better.

Re: Re: sonic differences between inverting/non-inverting LM4780 VS both non-inverting LM4780

Peter Daniel said:

The main reason for LM4780 kit to be noninverting only is versatility: the same dual chip can be either used as stereo, parallel or bridged amp, just by changing connection points and a jumper.

The second reason is that while I actually started with inverting topology, following further experimentation and feedback from customers, came later to conclusion that non inverting sounds better.

Hi Peter. I'm referring to bridge mode. it seems that in bridge mode, the 2 3886 are both in non-inverting while the national spec is 1 inverting/1 non-inverting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.