Heat Sink Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's my situation. I have 3 MTX 2160 amps. What I want to do is remove the circuit boards and mount them all in one enclosure with two cooling fans in a push/pull setup. Does anyone think there will be issues with this setup? I've done amps for customers that were inverted so you can see the guts but they were still connected to the heatsink. Basically I guess I want to know will I run into problems electrically? Thanks in advance.

All of the heatsink mounted components must be mounted to a heatsink of some sort. If you simply want to be rid of the heatsinks, you could use water cooling by mounting the transistors to a piece of square aluminum tubing and running water through the aluminum. You would have to find a way to clamp the transistors to the aluminum without having to puncture the aluminum tubing. You would also have to support the circuit board so that little or no stress is placed on the heatsink-mounted component's leads.

darth_audio said:
Here's my situation. I have 3 MTX 2160 amps. What I want to do is remove the circuit boards and mount them all in one enclosure with two cooling fans in a push/pull setup. Does anyone think there will be issues with this setup? I've done amps for customers that were inverted so you can see the guts but they were still connected to the heatsink. Basically I guess I want to know will I run into problems electrically? Thanks in advance.

Also make sure you use mica and thermal compound or thermal tape with low thermal resistance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.