Favourite mids/high amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is more of a conversational thread than the majority on this sub forum and I hope that it is appropriate and even perhaps entertaining for a few of us.

My favourite mids/high amplifier, having had a few through my hand and heard a few more, is a bit of a left field choice.

I recently picked up a four channel Sony XM 3040f for 20 quid as a parts or repair job and it turned out not only to work but to sound fantastic.

It really does compare to my vintage Genesis, Soundstream and Audison stuff in terms of quality. The highs are smooth and fully developed, no trace of hardness but completely revealing. The mid range and upper bass, I run a four way system for preference, is similarly full, smooth and punchy. From silkily presenting female voices to rendering an orchestral bloom, to replicating a drum kit and musically distorted guitar and isolating the individual notes of instrumental music this amp does it all at reasonable volumes.

It’s rated at 30w at 0.05% THD but feels much more powerful, a lovely quality in an amp.

I have to confess to also love it’s gun metal grey looks, all ridged heatsink and industrial design. Much better than the tarts handbags that were the later Sony Xplode line.

I think what makes it my favourite is hat it is sonically and electronically top notch whilst stopping short of esoterica.

For balance I should mention that it has fixed HP/LP filters at 80hz that give a small but noticeable reduction in sound quality. Not a problem if you run a separate crossover but I felt I should mention it.

What do you guys like and why?

Whatever has the power I want, filters / features, and is reasonable quality! Unless there is crazy hiss or noise, many amps can sound great, even cheaper stuff. I've repaired a lot of different amps over the years and I don't stress over brand name / model / hype anymore. I appreciate good designs / build quality though. Assuming filters / EQ settings (if equipped) can be set the same, I'd be surprised if I could tell most amps apart in a true blind test.

There are amplifiers more suitable for medium and high frequencies and amplifiers more suitable for low frequencies, it's a fact.
I think that blind listening between a/d/s 250MX and audison VR/HV16 can be clear to understand which of the two because they sound very different.

Each amp has its own sound, some have small differences, some more.
It must be said that on a range of frequencies someone prefers audison and someone else prefers a/d/s, as can be the case for any other amplifier and depends on which system is inserted.

Everyone puts his 2 cents, and for me it is better a personal opinion on listening rather than an objective datum on parameters such as power, percentage of distortion or s/n ratio or other useless measures for listening. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.