Hip4080 noisy output ?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So yesterday another Hifonics came in for repair. Brutus something 1000W @ 1ohm monoblock with a HIP4080.

Changed the IC, some leaked caps, fets, and so on.

Amps works fine but it has noisy output. I've repaired 2 or 3 more amps with the HIP4080 before and they all have some sort of noise at the output. Is there anything can be done to improve the sound and lower the noise ?!

Lowerинг the LPF pot helps to mask the noise a little bit, but it's not a real solution.

Changing the cheap ba4558 op-amps to ne5532 helped a bit, but not as much as I would like. Some better filtering caps maybe ?!

Not really, as long as you stay in the seat and music is playing it's almost not audible...but if I hook up the amp to even not very expensive home speakers, or a fullrange speaker - it's audible a LOT... i think it's due to the bad filtering or design issue. Any other class D amp using some kind of irs***** chip is much smoother than hip4080...

If the noise is truly audible through a subwoofer in the trunk of a vehicle, it must be REALLY bad. I've never seen one that bad. It may be cumulative through the audio chain.

It's not really a good test to use speakers that aren't going to be used in the actual install (ie, full range speakers with tweeters having a direct path to you vs subwoofers in a different vehicle compartment)

No, in the trunk with a subwoofer they sound OK. I know it's not an appropriate test hooking up different type of speakers, but this was due to the fact, that was what I had in that time for testing laying around. Just my 2 cents what i've noticed with these amps.

Most of the time when there is an audible noise from a car audio system is due to a very bad install in my experience...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.