Rockford 800a2 repair fails

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

the above mentioned amplifier had two outputs blown and all power supply fets bad.
I have changed all fets to 3205 and gate resistors being 10ohm.
i have changed driver transistors.
and finally all the output fets on the same bad channel.

i have done this 2 times and the amplifier blows same way again.
i tested all the gate resistors and emitter resistors and all are fine.

When i replace all the above the amp plays good.

i have adjusted the bias also.

Sounds like the power supply transformer has a winding or two touching after it heats up from use and are then shorting out, have you inspected it?

It dont look like any black or burn. But one place there is damage on insulation but the wires are not touching. Attaching the picture.

Attachments

• 20190401_140754.jpg
    20190401_140754.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 114
  • 20190401_140725.jpg
    20190401_140725.jpg
    680.2 KB · Views: 119
1. Does it blow them when powering up or does it blow them after playing a while?

2. If you just let the amp idle, does it idle with no change in current draw and remain cool?

3. Are the FETs tightly clamped down when it fails?

4. Are you using a fuse (15A) or a current limiter?

Customer says it came on and start to play fine and as he tried to increase the gain he just heard pop and everything shutdown.

amp idling normal without any current change. 0.8Amp

yes fets clamped but what i notice is all the mehsa board is not touching the heatsink even though i tighten the screws good.

i use current limiter while troubleshooting.

i twisted the transformer good but no change in current draw.

the ground terminal screw does not tighten the wire good. is that any problem?

The ground screw will be a problem in that the terminal will overheat and cause damage ti it and the board.

You'll have to be able to duplicate the problem on the workbench to find the fault.

Sometimes a defective pot can cause a loud pop when adjusting it and that can cause an amp to fail.

If the amp failed when playing hard then being asked to play harder (increasing the gains), the warped MEHSA insulator could be the problem. To resolve that a clamp over the top may be necessary if you don't have another insulator.

The ground screw will be a problem in that the terminal will overheat and cause damage ti it and the board.

You'll have to be able to duplicate the problem on the workbench to find the fault.

Sometimes a defective pot can cause a loud pop when adjusting it and that can cause an amp to fail.

If the amp failed when playing hard then being asked to play harder (increasing the gains), the warped MEHSA insulator could be the problem. To resolve that a clamp over the top may be necessary if you don't have another insulator.

i have done everything and going to test the amp on bench. attaching the picture of heat sings that i made to secure the fets.

the owner gave me another information that he used it in bridge mode. but i dont think it can be bridged. It has two separate gain knobs for two channels. Can it be bridged or is that the mistake the owner is doing all the time?

Attachments

• 20190418_104122.jpg
    20190418_104122.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
It can be bridged into a 4 ohm load. That said, these 800s get extremely hot when driven into a 4 ohm mono or 2 ohm stereo load. I'd recommend a fan moving air across the heatsink if he's going to be, in any way, abusive.

if it is bridged then if one channel gain dont match with another channel gain will that cause problem. after bridging then how can i set gain because it has two gain for each channel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.