Power suppy switchers, which is better?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The D44s can and usually do run cooler because they can switch faster, more efficiently. If the power supply was designed specifically for the 6488s, there may be no advantage to using the D44s. In the amps that were designed for the D44s like the older Rockfords, the 6488s heated quickly in the ones I tried to use the 6488s in.

Unless it has to be repaired quickly, order the D44s and test both for heating, current draw (idle and full power) total power output...

This amplifier is one I plan to keep so I'll do that. I fitted a 2N6487 on each side to make sure the drive repair was good. The amp idled fine and they only got to around 90deg F after around 30mins of idling, the board was out of the heatsink also.

The photo is as I received it. Mismatched parts, incorrect parts, blown traces unresolved, generally poor repair work. I've replaced all electrolytics, repaired the PS drive, blown traces and cleaned up the poor soldering. All that's left is to decide on the PS switchers and final testing and assembly.

Attachments

• DSC00517.jpg
    DSC00517.jpg
    858.3 KB · Views: 70
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.