Is it just to janky?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

We are a group of people preparing to make a sound installation at a music festival next summer running of a battery bank and have a solar installation that requires us to run it at 24V

We are wondering if it is possible to series couple 2 12V amps instead of using a 24V amp. Since the 24V models are a lot more expensive per watt and there is a lot less to choose from.

Or is it just to janky doing it that way(My guess=YES!). But we are just exploring every possible option

Yes it is janky. However it can be done, but would be really hard to not damage something. You would have to use matching everything, batteries, amps speakers, and even then you would need to somehow balance the system so that each amp got equal voltage, the gains were matched, they both have to be playing the same music, etc. One way to simplify it would be using large isolation diodes, but those are pricey.

Yeah, that's what i figured as well. But I just wanted to be sure that I didn't overlook anything obvious.

Actually hadn't thought about renting amps. I don't really think there is a place to rent 24V equipment. But I'll defiantly look into it.

Thanks for the input

Maaco. We only have about 600-800 euro for amps(Have 2600 euro for everything) Getting a high quality inverter to power amps and then get the amps are going to be hard.

Perry Babin. It has to be battery powered and only source of energy allowed on site is solar. We already have 1800 watts of solar panels and we are limited to 24V or higher since the solar charge controllers costs an absolute fortune when they have to deliver that amount of power at 12V

We are going to be using Victron BlueSolar charge controller since we can't risk a Chinese one crapping out during the week.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Batteries and intermissions.
Charge in series pairs, run in parallel.(did this to run 12v stuff off a 24v aircraft generator at hunting camp)

You'll need batteries all charged days ahead in case of lousy weather anyway. Marine 12v batteries are cheap and made to run flat(till dead) w/no damage(thicker plates).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.