Orion 250 hcca thermal tape right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

This is another working gen 1 250 hcca that sometimes produces static when very hot - if I keep a fan on it, no problem. It will do this without shutting off. The thermistor is present, the amp has obviously been worked on (looks like all power supply devices at least, soldering is not good), it seems to be an older board than the others I have (slight board differences).

Anyway, I'm wondering if the thermal tape looks right, or might be related to the problem. It doesn't look like Kapton or equivalent to me, maybe more like plumber's tape, it has a soft spongy feel.

Thank you

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    753.7 KB · Views: 77
It looks like fiberglass reinforced silicone rubber tape. It was used in some amps. Many times (if it'e the blue tape), it will stick to the back of all of the transistors and will have to be scraped off or the transistors replaced.

The noise may be leaked electrolyte. touch your scope probe to the board near the capacitors. T scope should not deflect any (set to about 1v/div). If it does, it means that electrolyte has leaked from the caps.

It looks like fiberglass reinforced silicone rubber tape. It was used in some amps. Many times (if it'e the blue tape), it will stick to the back of all of the transistors and will have to be scraped off or the transistors replaced.

The noise may be leaked electrolyte. touch your scope probe to the board near the capacitors. T scope should not deflect any (set to about 1v/div). If it does, it means that electrolyte has leaked from the caps.

The four 3300 uF rail caps (I think) look to be new or recently replaced (although I guess they still could be leaking). The 3300 uF "input" caps (2 of them right on the +12V input) look like maybe not. Did you mean to check either of these, both, or generally any electrolytic in the amp?

Thank you!

Thanks once again Perry.

I am not going to do anything other than measure, etc, with this one for now. If it ain't broke ... right? Unless I allow it to get blazing blazing stove hot, it definitely sounds right. The problem I mentioned might be down to install.

Anyway, I need to get a scope so I am looking around for that. Like you said, a real one with dials that will make me remember engineering school. I will update, any recommendations are appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.