Adding Bluetooth to 2001 VW Golf / Jetta Radio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My radio looks like this:

IlbJE5J.jpg

While my car didnt come with them, I intend to add steering wheel controls using OEM parts,

I'd also like to add Bluetooth to the system so I dont have to rely on spotty FM reception. I have 2 inputs (Tape and CD) that I'm not really using or intending to use, though its always slick when you *can* retain their functionality. I see a few ways of adding this and would like some advice on component selection and ideas on the most elegant implementation.

I've seen videos like this one describing a good way to add bluetooth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRMmth6itGc

But if *possible* I think it would be cool to allow for steering wheel controls to cycle up a track and maybe fast forward (I'm fond of some 55 minute+ youtube mixes).

About 4 possibilities come to mind:
1. Solder whatever audio output comes from the bluetooth reciever to the tape deck pickups, eliminating the ability to use it for tapes (no big deal) and not allowing for any further control or integration. My stock head unit switches to tape input once a tape is inserted, if this action is controlled by input detected from the tape pickups this could be problematic since my radio would perpetually think a tape was just inserted and switch away from radio.

2. Try a more integrated approach with the Tape button/command so that when pressing the tape button it powers on the bluetooth module and accepts input

3. Take over the as of now unused CD button and wiring that runs to the rear of the vehicle for the optional (and not included) CD changer. This is again using the head unit itself to integrate

4. Buy a CD changer from the local junkyard (they are cheap and usually available) and try modding the circuitry of the CD changer itself to add bluetooth as a CD in the tray. Probably allow pressing buttons on the head unit/steering wheel controls to skip forward etc. The downside is the default mounting position is in the trunk which is 5 feet away and obscured from the driver so it *might* cause an issue with bluetooth reception. Yes I know bluetooth range is usually great but I'm thinking about the hassle of moving the unit to somewhere in the dashboard etc.

6 Disc CD Changer VW Jetta Golf GTI MK4 Beetle Passat B5 B5.5 - 1J6 035 111 | eBay

Given the low power of most Bluetooth modules I think Id like the bluetooth module to power up at the same time the radio receives power to minimize time waiting for the bluetooth module to boot up for pairing.

Thoughts? Recommendations on which pre-assembled board to buy from amazon/aliexpress?

To be clear, I don't think I need a board with amplification, I think the stock headunit/amp will be enough. I just want this module to supply the cleanest input possible to my head unit.

I have a changer with no cartridge from an '01 Jetta if you want it. Free pickup, or I can get a shipping price, but I won't have time to pack and ship for several days.

**edit** I think I have that very same HU too if you want an extra to experiment on while you still keep tunes in your ride. Again, it's free.

That said, unless you are trying to keep it stock looking you would be leaps and bounds ahead by going to an aftermarket HU. Even the cheap stuff is pretty hard to complain about these days.

Later,
Jason

Last edited:
My radio looks like this:

While my car didnt come with them, I intend to add steering wheel controls using OEM parts,

I'd also like to add Bluetooth to the system so I dont have to rely on spotty FM reception. I have 2 inputs (Tape and CD) that I'm not really using or intending to use, though its always slick when you *can* retain their functionality. I see a few ways of adding this and would like some advice on component selection and ideas on the most elegant implementation.

I've seen videos like this one describing a good way to add bluetooth:
Hack: Adding Bluetooth to Car Stereos and Sound Systems - YouTube

But if *possible* I think it would be cool to allow for steering wheel controls to cycle up a track and maybe fast forward (I'm fond of some 55 minute+ youtube mixes).

About 4 possibilities come to mind:
1. Solder whatever audio output comes from the bluetooth reciever to the tape deck pickups, eliminating the ability to use it for tapes (no big deal) and not allowing for any further control or integration. My stock head unit switches to tape input once a tape is inserted, if this action is controlled by input detected from the tape pickups this could be problematic since my radio would perpetually think a tape was just inserted and switch away from radio.

2. Try a more integrated approach with the Tape button/command so that when pressing the tape button it powers on the bluetooth module and accepts input

3. Take over the as of now unused CD button and wiring that runs to the rear of the vehicle for the optional (and not included) CD changer. This is again using the head unit itself to integrate

4. Buy a CD changer from the local junkyard (they are cheap and usually available) and try modding the circuitry of the CD changer itself to add bluetooth as a CD in the tray. Probably allow pressing buttons on the head unit/steering wheel controls to skip forward etc. The downside is the default mounting position is in the trunk which is 5 feet away and obscured from the driver so it *might* cause an issue with bluetooth reception. Yes I know bluetooth range is usually great but I'm thinking about the hassle of moving the unit to somewhere in the dashboard etc.

6 Disc CD Changer VW Jetta Golf GTI MK4 Beetle Passat B5 B5.5 - 1J6 035 111 | eBay

Given the low power of most Bluetooth modules I think Id like the bluetooth module to power up at the same time the radio receives power to minimize time waiting for the bluetooth module to boot up for pairing.

Thoughts? Recommendations on which pre-assembled board to buy from amazon/aliexpress?

To be clear, I don't think I need a board with amplification, I think the stock headunit/amp will be enough. I just want this module to supply the cleanest input possible to my head unit.

Hi,

Did you ever get this to work? I'm trying to do something similar on a VW gamma radio.

I sort of got it to work by taking the brown plug out of the tap deck and feeding in the output from the bluetooth but the audio quality was terrible. My guess is because the audio signal from the bluetooth unit already had some amplification and I was sending it into another amp. I might get better results if I splice into the output feed on the tape deck amplifier. My other thought was the voltage off the bluetooth output didn't match the tape deck output.

If anyone has experience at this I'd love to hear from you. I'm trying to keep the old car vibes but with modern bluetooth connectivity.

Thanks
Josh (newbie)

Looking for a good Bluetooth receiver unit

Hi Josh

I'm doing something similar with a car stereo in a 90s Volvo. I haven't started work on it yet to figure out where to tap into the circuitry to bypass the cassette and insert the Bluetooth unit's audio (there are several good Youtubes with people doing it on similar vintage stereos so hopefully that process will play out in due course).

But first, before that, what I'm trying to establish at the moment is - what is the best Bluetooth receiver unit to get?

I have bought on of these...
Bluetooth 5.0 Audio MP3 Receiver module | eBay
It was very very cheap, and works ok on the bench (outside the car stereo unit), but, the catch is this unit has awful spoken audio messages saying 'pairing up Bluetooth' 'connected etc etc' which is intolerable and a deal breaker.

So - I'm trying to find out which of these cheap Chinese units has something less annoying - preferably just beeps, or even allows some configuration with this.

I've got another different Bluetooth unit on order, to try my luck again, but I don't wish to buy every two-bob Bluetooth receiver that comes out of China to find the one which doesn't have the annoying voice. Obviously I will spend more money than £3 on a unit if I know it's ok in this way.

Have you had any luck finding a good Bluetooth receiver unit?

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes I've had some success. I'm trying this on two radios.

The first one is from a Golf Mk4, it's a Gamma V radio. For that I'm splicing in the left and right feed in from the external CD player. I just stuck in a data cd and it just plays continuously. Now I just did this on the kitchen table on cheap speakers with a 12v by my side. The audio is good but could be cleaner. I'm still getting a bit of hiss from the motor in the CD player when the volume is up high, but that could be the cheap speakers I'm using for testing. To overcome that I've a order a ground loop isolator that shows good reviews to eliminate that hiss you get.
Ground Loop Noise Isolator Anti interference Safe Accessories Clear Sound Car Audio Aux With 3.5mmCable Home Stereo Portable|Speaker Line| - AliExpress

For the Mk2 golf, it's a Gamma 2. On the board I've found where to solder the audio in but I need to test which is left and which is right on the board. I only had one speak and it would be easier test with 4 speakers. Interestingly i just need the right or left audio line and not the ground. Again, had the same hiss from tape deck motor so hopefully the ground loop isolator works here too.

This is the cheap bluetooth module I used was as follows:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32975596889.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3e174c4de42J9U

This unit doesn't beep or talk, it has a small blue light that flashes and that is it. They are cheap and cheerful and get the job done and are 12v so no issues with 5v stuff you sometimes get.

Next up for the Gamma 2 is soldering the points in place and finding a 12v ignition supply so the module turns off. Same goes for the Gamma 5.

Hope that helps, good luck with your owns.

Thanks Josh

I was reading about hiss and grounding issues etc people have with these - and - it looks like some use a ground loop isolator like you, and others get results from a DC-DC isolator at the power supply end (I dunno maybe they're solving different problems). I have only limited knowledge - but would a ground loop isolator on the audio signal reduce the audio quality? Excuse my ignorance.

In your previous post, you didn't mention what Bluetooth receiver unit you are using - could you please put a link to it if you recommend it.

Another Chinese Bluetooth unit arrived today -
DollaTek Upgraded version of Bluetooth 4.2 audio MP3: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
It looks the part, has aux bypass, and pairs really quickly and with just a beep - but the audio signal was very poor - thin - no bottom, and there was a hiss and whistle that seemed to start and end every time an audio track was playing. It did this when using a 9V battery for power, so it's not power supply noise. (But some reviewers recommend them, so maybe I just got a dud).

Thanks
Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.