Heat sink grease preference

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is just a curious question. I been using CircuitWorks Heat Sink Grease for year's now in my amp repairs but I have noticed after 4-5 years that it's starts to dry out into a hard paste almost powder like in some amp's that I have gotten back for repair from customers who like to beat there amp's to death. So Tell what's your heat sink grease preference?

Does it matter if the paste dries out?

The paste when first applied and clamped into the interface fills the scratches and undulations between the metal to metal contact points.

All air should be excluded. The paste will be a finely ground thermally conductive solid and a liquid carrier. That liquid is likely to have some volatile content.

If the volatiles evaporate, will air come in to replace that lost liquid component?

Will the remaining paste perform as well as the freshly applied paste?

Unfortunately the best conductivity and adhesion greases tend to be dangerous to the environment so great care must be used in the application and cleaning of the compounds.I have found the best that I have tried is made by ACC Silicates Ltd part number SG502. It doesn't dry out or leach and is very stable at high temperatures with an excellent temperature coefficient and conductivity.
http://www.acc-silicones.com/_asset...ts/acc thermal transfer application sheet.pdf

Unfortunately the best conductivity and adhesion greases tend to be dangerous to the environment so great care must be used in the application and cleaning of the compounds.I have found the best that I have tried is made by ACC Silicates Ltd part number SG502. It doesn't dry out or leach and is very stable at high temperatures with an excellent temperature coefficient and conductivity.
http://www.acc-silicones.com/_asset...ts/acc thermal transfer application sheet.pdf

Is it used in satellites -115c (-175F) temp now that's cold :eek: high temp is nice 300c (572F) that can take a beating and still do it's job.I can not find a U.S supplier for it :( I did find this it's called super Lude (LOL) :D it's not as temperature extreme as yours -40F to 500F Here the data sheet > http://www.super-lube.com/files/pdfs/heat_sink_technical_bulletin.pdf

Last edited:
0.55W/mK is way below the 3W/mK of that previous lower temperature goop (SG502).

If one can ensure that the thickest goop is <0.1thou/mil (0.00254mm), then W/mK is much less important.

But we can't get that level of "flatness" between two nominally flat surfaces.

Last edited:
0.55W/mK is way below the 3W/mK of that previous lower temperature goop (SG502).

If one can ensure that the thickest goop is <0.1thou/mil (0.00254mm), then W/mK is much less important.

But we can't get that level of "flatness" between two nominally flat surfaces.
I know when trying to keep the price down for the customer and they always want the cheapest they don't want to pay for what's needed then they run there amp's like there bulletproof and get mad when it fails you just can't win.This what Im going to use in my amp's HALNZIYE HY880 it has 5.15 W/mk and a Operation temperature of -30~280 It's a bit pricey at 49.00 for a 100g (3.5oz).

Last edited:
Considering a typical heatsink has a thermal resistance in the order of 1000mK/W, the impact of a good vs bad TIM is just a few % of the total performance.

Wonder if this is sold in the western part of the world.

1-500x500.jpg

Last edited:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.