Rockford Fosgate punch 800a2 channel repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I got a punch 800a2 in need of repair one of the channels was non working I removed most of the main bad parts. Hard open resistors and output fets. I ordered new irf640's and irf9640's. My question is before I install anything what are the chances it will work again without it possibly failing again? I checked all mpsa56 & mpsa06 transistors none of them checked out shorted. Also what's the value for the source resistors? Thanks guys

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    873 KB · Views: 361
I'd suggest changing the A06 and 56 drivers. If there is ANY leakage, expect the outputs to fail.

You should also jump the transistor shown in the attached image. Without that jumper, any minor problem can cause the output transistors to fail. If you jump it AND clamp all transistors to the heatsink AND use a current limiter, the outputs should survive even if there are faults that you did not catch.

Attachments

• IMG_0447b.jpg
    IMG_0447b.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 223
If the supply is limited to 6 amps, that should be OK. This only applies if you jump the transistor. If you do not, the rail caps get charged and then the biasing is switched on. If there is a fault (and that transistor isn't jumped), a fault/defect could cause 100% of the energy stored in the caps to be dumped through the output transistors. No matter the current limit at the 12v side, the outputs can fail.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.