Need help in building a system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I want to install a system in my car. So far I have Pioneer 6x8 4 way speakers. The specs are as follows: Max Power: 240W, Nominal Power: 50W, and Impedance: 4OHMS. I was wondering what would be a good four channel amp to run them. I was thinking about a Rockford Fosgate Power 851X. I also need good tweeters and a good amp to run two 12" Kicker Comp VRs. I was aldso wondering what would be a good head unit. I was also wondering what did watts RMS meant? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hey, as far as headunits go, look at Alpine, blaupunkt, and maybe the higher end pioneer gear. I didn't have the money for these systems so I went with a panasonic and it's been far better than I expected.

RMS = root mean squared. Most people rate speakers by their peak to make them look better than they actually are. The RMS is simply the average power output. More accurate when measuring ratings. For amps, the rockford your looking at will be quite good!

It all depends on how you want to use the system for. Sound Quality (SQ) competition? Sound Pressure Level (SPL) competition? Normal listening? The size of your vehicle? Budget?

About your speaker, are you sure it's 6 x 8 and not 6 x 9?

Rockford Fosgate is a good brand, and so are many others ie Earthquake, Coustic, Alpine, .... the list is long. Installation is another matter, this can screw up everything if poorly done.

What are your signal sources? CD? MD? Radio? Cassette (ahem! My age shows....)? MP3?

Everything Bawang said + What model, year car is it?
Oh, and RMS stansa for Root Means Square. It's a measrement of continious amplifier power, not a "peak" or some number based on theory. When amplifier shopping, look for the RMS output. This is what some people call the "true" wattage of an amp. IMO the new Fosgates are crap. If youre looking for a good amp at a low price, look at the 1998-2000 Rockford amps. They are solid performers, and you can usually find them at a decent price. In fact, here's one that would be a great 4-channel amp for a budget system, using the front channels for your highs/mids, then bridging the rear channels for a sub:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3051543124&category=39744

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.