summing rca's...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got a ???... I am attempting to use a stereo amplifier in mono mode, it is internally inverting, but requires the summing outside the amplifier - I can't just Y a stereo pair of outs can I??? The source is an alpine 7904, through a nakamichi sp200 x-over, into a hifonics Zeus series VI.

My last crossover summed for me, but I wanted to use the 2 Nakamichi x-overs to match my mid and hi amps.

what must I do to sum the line level?
Is there a small circuit I could build?

Insert a resistor in each RCA output and connect the other ends of the resistors together. Use that (and the shield) to drive the next component with a mixed signal. The resistor value isn't critical. If the RCA output is driving a sub amp and nothing else, 100 ohm resistors would be a good choice. If you were splitting the RCA output to go to both high and low frequency amps, you'd want to use a higher value to help prevent introducing distortion (which is more likely to occur with lower value resistors).

To get a summed output, you'd have to use op-amps which would make it much more difficult.

Thanks...another???

You solved the question for me, and as an uneducated bobo i ask two more questions :

with a preamp signal of 1.6 volts, through the resistors, what type of voltage will I see, and....

The risk of distortion is the devil - - what is a super safe value on the resistors? A good midway point to keep distortion absolute minimum without degrading the signal....?

Sorry for being so inquisitive...

Insert a resistor in each RCA output and connect the other ends of the resistors together. Use that (and the shield) to drive the next component with a mixed signal. The resistor value isn't critical. If the RCA output is driving a sub amp and nothing else, 100 ohm resistors would be a good choice. If you were splitting the RCA output to go to both high and low frequency amps, you'd want to use a higher value to help prevent introducing distortion (which is more likely to occur with lower value resistors).

To get a summed output, you'd have to use op-amps which would make it much more difficult.

The resulting voltage will depend on the difference in the signal between the individual channels (signals should be identical at the lower end of the spectrum) and the input impedance of the next device (likely 10k ohms). For your application, I wouldn't expect to see any significant loss.

Since most op-amps can drive 600 ohm loads and the RCA output is likely driven by an op-amp, 600 ohms should be safe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.