hifonics zeus viii transformer...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Probably a 2SA1038.

The following suggestion could cause the amp to draw excessive current and could possibly cause the amp to be damaged. Be careful and be prepared to disconnect the amp from the power source quickly. I'd suggest that you connect a 10-15 amp fuse between the power supply and the amp. You should also clamp all transistors to the heatsink. I know it's time consuming but it will help protect the power semiconductors.

Remove Q2 (assuming that the collector is connected to pin 10). Does the amp still go into protect mode?

Does the amp draw excessive current?

Well, that narrows it down. Not having a scope makes it a bit more difficult. Start checking all of the transistors and resistors in that channel.

If you measure the DC voltage across the speaker terminals (black probe on the non-bridging terminal), do you read any significant DC? If so, is it positive or negative DC?

just made a discovery.. whilst checking the emitter resistors i noticed something wasn't right across a whole bank. whom ever did the solder job on the speaker cable didn't do a very good job and got a bad solder on the through holes which the speaker cable is soldered to so the tip35's on that channel were not operating correctly..

i now have clean output on both channels.

where does the A1038 come into this equation?

The amp was going into protect before you could determine what the fault was. From the information provided, it appeared that the fault was triggering the protection circuit through that transistor. Removing it defeated the protection circuit allowing you to see which channel had a fault. That narrowed down the search for the problem. You can reinstall it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.