Speaker + Amp Question?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm new to this thread so be easy :)

I realized that this a car audio forum, and I'm intending to install my system on a watercraft, but I figured it was close enough.

I want to install either 60watt/30RMS 2x 3" waterproof speakers, or 30watt/15RMS 4x 2" speakers on my jetski in the mirror housing, depending on which you guys think would sound better. If I were to get 4x 2" speakers (2 on each side), should I get a marine amp with 2 channels, 60 watts in each? or 30 watts in each? If I were to run this off a different 12v battery, how long do you think this system would last on one full charge?

Feel free to suggest something different, Thanks a lot!

--Pike

Just run the speakers off the marine deck. Average deck output power is 21 watts continuous X 4 channels nowadays so running those four tiny speakers will be no problem with the average deck. You might even end up blowing them if not careful. Most decks put out at least 80 watts rms total, try that before you go running amp wires and have to worry about all that extra copper corroding. :)

So.. Instead of a mp3 player, your saying I should install a head, and no amp?

Will it drain less power than an a mp3 running through an amp?

It sounds like a better idea, but that means I have to buy a materproof head, a waterproof case for it, then find somewhere to mount it.

Any ideas on the battery??

Thanks for your input

Use a small marine grade isolator and install a small jetski battery. O'reilly has the jetski batteries, it's possible the isolators are rust resistant but I didn't check closely enough. This way you don't have to worry about killing the cranking battery when you jam the stereo for a while with the ski off. We used to sell marine radios, but don't have them anymore. I'd check online, the marine shops are pretty pricey.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.