Who made JBE III T/T Motors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I am looking for who manufactured the 8 pole 24 slot stator direct-drive motor fitted to the UK manufactured KBE III tuntable manufactured from 1978 to 1980. The motor carries the part number MKL 153B and states place of manufacture Japan. If they are not made anymore perhaps you know of a currently manufactured equivelent or perhaps someone who may know. I have tried contacting Technics, thinking of all the D/D T/T they have made but they wont even talk to me. If you can help this would be greatly appreciated Regards Tony

Hi Tony,
According to Hifi Choice No18 (Turntables and Tonearms No3) from 1980, the motors were made by Matsushita- ie Panasonic/Technics. The contemporary Monitor Audio ET500, reviewed in the same issue also used these motors. Mention is made of early JBEs (and MAs) using the MKL S1T, with later versions using the (more expensive and less wow prone) MKL BIII. How the MKL 153B fits in to this rather inconsistant nomenclature I've no idea. I used to work in the hifi trade in the '80s and early '90s and found my own occasional contacts with Technics about turntable spares to be, er, unsatisfactory shall we say... Given the number of Technics SL1200s and related models out there, spares must surely be available for them at least, but again I couldn't say if they could be made to work on the JBE. I'd say either find a friendly Technics repair shop and see what they think, or modify the deck to run belt drive.
Good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.