NAD PP2 circuit diagram / schematics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Estimates. I have read the issue you are dealing with. I am interested in the topic, I'm buying on eBay that the components to build a SOLIDPHONO of TNT (say it is similar to Lehmann Black Cube and I asked the question in DIY AUDIO SOURCE analoge but the answers were clear to me, maybe for my English .) I see you named a "VSP" I've never heard, but according to you is good. I wish someone would of opinion of "SOLIDPHONO" TNT, since I only recpara capacitors are missing some components complete. I use the SSM2019 instead of appearing in the circuit SSM2017 . If you could provide circuit and PCB "VSP" thank you. Regards, Jose.

I fail to understand people's attraction to NAD gear.
As a technician who regularly works on this stuff and sees the build quality (or lack thereof) I know exactly what their gear is like and most of it isn't that great - yet people rave over it and pay huge money on second hand units.
Just shows what marketing hype can do I suppose.

Hi. Again in this thread.
I have built the VSPS 300 and recently the VSPS 400.
They sound great Far superior to NAD; Rotel; Pro Ject Phono Box and the preamp included in Marantz PM6006.
I'm not advertising to RJM, it's just the truth.
Now it seems promising the Esmeralda de RJM, which some day I will build.
Tip: do not buy cheap phono stages. Build DIY

PP2 parts.....

You are right,of course it is cheaper to build it yourself,but if you have the stock NAD-PP2 already,a quick upgrade is to replace that unregulated power supply unit.There is a guy on Audiogon that does just that,selling over-priced, larger,unregulated(still) power supplies(up to 1000mA I think).What to do is make sure you get a regulated power supply unit mine is 24VDC 1Amp regulated,really did the trick!

I may also look into that but before I can do that I have to replace a burnt-out
R50 in my PP2...trouble is I can not identify its value as it is burnt !!

Could you by any chance assist me ??

Thank you - perhaps a short PM would be great 🤗🤗
Klaus

The caps are necessary because the external interface is unknown, and they want to avoid sending DC current (voltage) into the MC, MM or the preamp following the PP2. I am not sure if the reverse engineering is correct around the "MM in" node. The MC signal will need to pass through 2 serial caps, which is unnecessary (one serves).

Referring to the schematic posted in the beginning of this thread, my questions are:

Can anyone tell me the component types? E7, Q5, Q6, Q7, Q8?

Can the voltage be confirmed? (+/-9V) And what is the supply of the E7 opamp?

I looked at a used product (NAD PP4) and the seller found that one channel was gone. It seems to be a common problem that one or both channels stops working. Can anybody cast light on such an issue? ESD problems? It is difficult to believe that the "MC in" node has been left completely floating. An arbitrarily voltage could (=will) build up, and this voltage is decharged into Q6 and Q8 whenever the MC pickup is connected. Perhaps this explains the mystery around C1 and C14.

And thanks to Werner that did the reverse engineering in the first place. Hope you're doing fine, after all, 15 years has passed :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.